Considering a complete tear down of my Hot Spring Spa. Ill Advised???

May 15, 2016
Bay Area, CA
Hi everyone,
I've got a 2001 Hot Spring Vanguard that I bought used about 7 years ago. It was an ordeal getting it out of it's original backyard (huge crane) then getting it into my backyard but has been great for the family over the years. It's developed leaks in the plumbing during the past couple years. The shell remains pristine and in excellent condition. I've dug into it twice in two different locations and fixed slow drips were the flex PVC attaches to the jets. This definitely wasn't for the feint of heart as I had to remove the cabinet, dig out foam and mine for the leaky spot. But leaks continue to develop to the point where it's time to go all in or take it to the dump. I'm thinking of flipping it over, gutting the whole thing down to the shell, replumbing the entire thing, and rebuilding the frame and cabinet. I'm fully aware of the labor involved here, but it's either I put in my time and we get our hot tub back or we take it to the dump and don't get a new one. Our budget would allow for the replacement parts needed (just plumbing and a few jets) but buying a new hot tub is out of the question. I have all the skills needed for this type of thing, have build my own home, built solar water and PV systems, run my own custom cabinet shop, restore cars, etc. What I need to know is how many of you think this is insane and 100% futile? I was ready to construct my own scratch build concrete/tile hot tub but I'm staring at this complete unit out there that is perfectly good, except for those pesky leaks. opinions? I've been informed that Hot Spring uses the foam for structural support which could be an issue for me. I could certainly re-foam it, but I'd prefer to use loose insulation and build the cabinet with removable panels so I can access all the plumbing for future repairs. Maybe my biggest concern is that, despite the might of the entire internet, I can't seem to find anyone else who has stripped down their tub as much as I want to, leading me to believe that what I'm proposing is ill advised. I think I've tackled crazier projects, but maybe not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP :)

I would do it, the most you are out is connection to jets if it were to fail but if it works you have a hot tub back and can work on it easy :)

It sounds like you could make a whole new shell and transplant it... mine does not have any insulation around it except the 2 inch cedar and the 6K heater attached to it...

Balboa makes some very nice replacement parts if you need a new heater, pump, brain, lights or whatever..

Have fun :)

Welcome to TFP!

I say go for it too. There isn't that much to it. And you get to be the first person on the whole internet to rebuild your hot tub! :-D

I'd do it. You don't need the foam for support. Just build a new base out of salt treated that the rim of the hot tub is supported on. If it were me I would use 3M 5200 caulk on the fittings inside of the tub. That stuff lasts forever. After you are all done I would get some foam sheets and cut them and put them around the body. Insulation does help lower the electric costs. If the spa pack is older (6 years +) I would also sink the bucks in and get a Balboa kit at the same time since that would affect the plumbing in that area. They are not that much and then you will have a completely new spa. I got mine for $300ish. The do retro fits for virtually any existing spa.

what great support! I admit I thought people would discourage me and just tell me to buy a new tub. Good call on the 3m 5200. I've used that with great success on my Boston Whaler. I'm sure somebody has done this before, but most of what I find is somebody replacing the cabinet siding, or the odd framing member or two. With my cabinet shop right next door I figure it will be easier to just flip it and tear down the whole thing.

As for the pumps and parts everything works great, but I will look into the balboa kits since, with the exception of the circa pump, everything is 13 years old. One of my main goals with this project is being able to fix problems down the road, and pumps, heaters, etc need to all be easily accessible and replaceable. If I can reconfigure the pack I have, but make it easier to replace parts, then the spa probably could go forever. What's a good source for those balboa packs? I'll also be adding an auxiliary solar water heater to help save some electricity.

The current plan is to fabricate the new radiuses corner pieces and attach them to the new framing, but make all four sides as removable panels. I will insulate for sure, just a matter of how, but I'll probably figure that out once it all goes back together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.