Year 3 opening to Green Swamp

Styxbb

May 5, 2014
Ohio
Uncovered the pool today and saw the worst green algae in my pool. Unfortunately, my opening was interrupted by taking my son to the ER and then to my daughters awards banquet. So, here I sit at 10:40 pm testing pool water. Here are my initial numbers
FC 0
CC 0
TA 40
CH 50
pH between 7.2 and 7.5
CYA 20

Here are my thoughts, SLAM is imminent. Pool Math says 25 oz. of stabilizer to take it to 30. Thinking I throw the sock in the skimmer tonight with 1 lb. of stabilizer(all I have on hand). Then after school tomorrow, start the SLAM. Thoughts?

Thanks

That's about it. You got it. :goodjob: Increase CYA to 30 and increase FC to 12. Your pH is already in the low 7s, so you're good there. Follow everything on the SLAM page and you'll do fine. Just give it some time.

Something else to consider, the CH level and your plaster pool. :) If that CH test of 50 is correct, and you do in-fact have plaster (IGP in signature), you really need to increase CH to the recommended level to avoid damaging the plaster in your pool. Have a nice day.

My IGP actually has a vinyl liner. I replaced it a few years ago, plywood walls and sand bottom. Don't know much about pool construction, but I was dumbfounded. : ). Started the slam at 7 am. poolmath said 292 oz. of 10% bleach. I did the mental math (3-96 oz. bottles and I'll be good.) Went home to check FC and I was at 14.5. I wondered how and looked at the bleach. They were 128 oz. bottles. Playing with PoolMath estimates I bumped it to around 16. So, in 3 hours, it drifted down to 14.5. I will continue to let it drift to 12 then redose. Water is cold, so I'm thinking the algae can't be too active right now. I'll post a picture in a few.

During this initial SLAM phase, watch your FC closely. If it drops really fast and CC climb quickly as well, you may have an ammonia issue to contend with. You'll know if you do because that FC will drop rather fast, and CYA may also disappear. If that happens let us know. Otherwise good luck on your SLAM.

It's not uncommon. The amount of CC generated by the SLAM process can vary based on several factors. You may see it fluctuate throughout the SLAM. For now, focus on the FC SLAM level and you'll do very well. Also don't forget the other daily tasks noted on the SLAM page (scrubbing, filter, etc). :)

Looks like you've already made headway- I see blue!

Keep on keeping on it. The more often you test and re-dose, the faster the process goes.

Do you need to order more reagents now so you don't run out of them later on in the SLAM?

Look at you go! Please stick around and learn everything you can this summer about your pool and what you need to know to close it. There is no reason why you should ever open to emerald green water. Keep SLAMMING!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey, that's what baffled me. 2 summers ago when I first did this, my slam took forever, not to mention upwards of 40 gallons of bleach. Closing went fine. When I opened last year, it was beautiful. 2 hours and it looked ready to swim, although it was only 54 degrees. I don't think I did anything different closing last fall. But, you can see what it looked like the other day. All I can attribute it to was the unusual winter we had. This is the 2nd worst season of the 13 years I've owned the pool. The SLAM is going great though. Only lost 2.5 overnight. Cloudy, but I can almost see the deep end.

Ok, SLAM is complete. But, water is still cloudy. I assume maybe because CH is so low. I remeasured it at 75 last night. Pool math is telling me 513 oz. calcium chloride. That's 32 lbs. Should I try to add that much all at once?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.