CYA Test

natedogg

Bronze Supporter
May 11, 2016
Warren MI
I did the CYA test and the tester was filled but I could still see the dot. I'm in Michigan and it's been cold since the pool was filled so the test makes sense from what I've read. Does this mean there's no CYA in the pool?

If the water was perfectly clear in the tube then that likely means you have zero cya. If you could just barely still see the. Then you might have cya approaching 20 part per million or so

Is that bad? It's just reached the the 60s during the day for the first time (lol) and it is still 61 but cloudy. I also had no color on a chlorine test, which I assume is bad. Can I just add liquid chlorine to up that? I have a SWG, but I am not sure if it is operating correctly as it had a no flow error for a while and then started again. The water is clear, but I know that is not an indication of the water being where you need it to be. I think need to add chlorine to the pool, is that correct?

You should get some cya dissolving in a sock in front of the return jet up to at least 30 parts per million and definitely add some bleach to get the FC up. The water is likely too cold for the swg to work correctly yet anyways.

Sometimes its useful to allow the pool sample water to warm to room temp inside, then after mixing the sample per instructions take it outside to fill the tube with. Best with the sun at your back while holding the tube at waist high level.

Thanks for the great tips! I think I will start with the CYA and bleach and go from there. Is there an amount of bleach to add to a 19K gal pool, or is it just add until a reading occurs?

Also, could algae be growing in this cold of weather? I assume there could be cold weather algae due to MI weather, but that's a guess based on dealing with MI weather.

Assume your CYA is there and aim for the correct FC. Undershoot that CYA addition as a zero reading doesn't necessarily mean you have zero CYA as the test only goes as low as 30. You may have 20 in there...

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know how to use PoolMath?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, i've been reading and looked at it but math and science were not my strong suits lol. Is the correct FC based on pool size? Thanks to everyone for the help this is my first time owning a pool.

No, your desired FC level is based on how much CYA you have going on in the pool. The more CYA you have requires you to keep a higher FC level. Have you seen the CYA/Chlorine chart in Pool School?
[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I believe I did figure out my steps for upping the CYA and SLAMing the pool. My pH test was yellow though, so I assume there is very low pH and I need to add soda ash from what I'm reading before I being the SLAM. Is that correct?

I tesed TA and 1 drop turned the sample red so I assume it's low at 10 ppm and need to add soda to up it. I am in the process of getting a pool vacuum and assume I should vacuum first before attempting to alter the levels. This is really helpful and I appreciate all the knowledge!

I think you have some things mixed up. :confused: pH should be about 7.2 for the SLAM. Your CYA (stabilizer) will vary based on how much was added (i.e. 30, 40, 50, etc), then you increase FC based on that CYA level. An ideal example would be a CYA of 30, FC at 12, and pH at 7.2 during a SLAM. Make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.