Secondary filter for iron

msumoose

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2012
I have a pool I am trying to clear, but it has high iron. Every time I add chlorine, it turns brown. Read on another forum a method of taking a submersible pump and routing the output through poly batting after shocking to filter out oxidized iron. Is this feasible?

It all depends on the amount of iron you have. If your fill water is heavy with iron, it will just keep coming back.

Test your fill water and post back with that result.

Generally, a mechanical filter does not work well with iron but there is always a chance.

The polyfill was the idea, using another pump. At this point the homeowner is chomping at the bit to swim. It is BAD. I know it is the fill water - did a liner up the road (same water association) and had to use a sequestrant in the first 1000 gallons. This pool is fiberglass and has not been emptied in 12 years, filling from the same high iron fill water.

I will have test results tomorrow.

A greensand filter might be able to remove some or all of the iron in the fill water for the pool. A reverse osmosis filtering of the pool would work too. Both are on the expensive side of things tho. Iron is one of the most difficult things to remove from water.

I've always been tickled by the low-tech use of polyfil and/or plain old paper towels in the skimmer to help collect iron. Low budget and it doesn't add anything to the water. It might not work entirely but it might be worth a try if just to lower it some, right?

So just did a test (regular not metals)
Free Cl 2.0
CC < .5
TA 150
pH 7.4
CH 75
CYA 80

Iron and copper test arriving via FedEx tomorrow.

Made a filter. It is working pretty good. Catching some stuff, but I am sure it is not enough.

I have 5 lbs of citric acid for the brown pool walls, but not being able to SLAM is frustrating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.