fill water has iron

monkeywrench

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Shrewsbury MA
Hi all,
It's good to be back at TFP again, it means that the heat will soon be hear,I've been gone since the fall spending time in a coal heating forum trying to learn how to get some heat on the inside, now I'm ready for some heat on the outside! :sunny: I'll be opening soon and I plan to fill from the hose again but have had some problems with metal stains in the past ( pre TFP) This year I closed with some metal free and was wondering if I should circulate in some more prior to filling to head off the staining or does it matter pre or post fill?
Any way is good to be back, I hope to be able to contribute again in any way, especially mechanical, electrical and masonry

John
:monkey:

I would add another dose of sequesterant when you open and before you shock. As a general rule you will want to add seqesterant every time you add more iron containing water and you want to add maintenance doses of sequesterant monthly to weekly, depending on how bad your iron problem is. I would use a HEDP (Phosphonic acid derived) based seqesterant and not an EDTA based one like MetalFree.
Proteam Metal Magic, GLB Sequa Sol, and Jack's Magic Pink or Blue stuff are all good (Pink stuff is better for Iron than Blue stuff but either wiill work!). There are other good ones too. Read the label and look for HEDP, Phosphonic Acid Derivative, or phosphonate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.