First Pool and I have screwed it up already :(((

So got our first pool an AG summer waves 14x42 round. Filled the pool yesterday with city water and took the water to my local pool store this morning. I already had a pound of shock and the pool lady recommended a balance pak (baking soda??? right), wait two hours and then add stabilizer 1 lb and then the shock I had. So I did this and the stabilizer did not dissolve and my pool liner is now white. I asked if i should dissolve in water first and she said no just dump it in. Have I ruined the liner. I have vacuumed the undissolved stabilizer as best I could. Help.

Welcome to TFP :)

Ok, I think the liner is now white and that is not all bad... It was probably the pound of shock that caused it and not the CYA (stabilizer), but the CYA can also bleach the liner...

We always recommend putting the CYA in a sock and kneed the sock until dissolved..

The shock also added CYA to your pool along with chlorine, it took your Free Chlorine to 22 and your CYA to 20 (if the shock was Dichlor) and then add the pound of CYA 40 and your CYA is now 60..

You really need a great test kit to know what your water is doing and to take control of your pool. check out the links in my sig below and ask any more questions you have.

The best thing that came out of this is you found us and now you will know exactly how to take care of your pool :)

What to do now, let your FC drift down, do not add anything else until we can get a good test kit and see what levels you are at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.