Pool Frog vs PoolRX

Jaingo

May 10, 2015
round Rock
I have used the pool frog mineral system for years. It does seem a little inefficient from time to time but I have had no complaints. My local pool store suggested a new product that supposedly replaces the pool frog system and performs more consistently in regards to algae control.

So has anyone have experience and knowledge with the benefits of each and which is better? The only thing I know for sure is that the poolrx system would be cheaper I think.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you are on this web site, you will find that we do not recommend anything magic for your pool.

Pure bleach, that's all you need. Anything else is throwing your money away.

Reactions: mklahr
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I would go one step further than just wasting money ... you could be putting your loved ones at risk.

It is true that the metals can inhibit algae, but they do very little to kill bacteria/viruses/etc in the water. So while the water may look great due to lack of algae, it could be unsafe to actually swim in and put you at risk of getting infected. This is why these systems still require you to maintain some chlorine in the water. And if you have to add chlorine anyway, why bother with the metals that can cause other issues like green hair and stained pools?

Seeing algae is a great indicator that the pool is not properly sanitized, if you eliminate the algae "early warning system" then you might have a false sense of security.

We don't advocate/recommend any mineral/low-lower chlorine system.

I'm sure if tested and watched closely you can run a pool with these type systems, but we feel there are easier ways to maintain your pool that we are sure will be safer (quicker kill times for pathogens), prohibit the growth of algae, less expensive and no possibility of mineral staining.

TFP is all about easier (Trouble Free) ways of maintaining a residential pool without using expensive "specialty" products. It's just who we are.

I guess in a way questions like you are asking (you are not the first, nor will you be the last) would be like going to a vegan forum and asking the best way to grill a steak. There is awareness that it happens, but folks there don't do those kind of things.

We welcome your participation but most folks probably won't be able to help with specific questions you may have.

Well I will tell you that I noticed my water became much easier to maintain and was clearer than ever when I replaced my Frog with a straight piece of pipe. Has saved me several hundred a year in mineral pacs and overpriced chlorine pacs too. That straight piece of pipe is really a great alternative to the Frog system!

Haha. I just bought a house that has a Pool Frog XL system on it. My neighbor has the exact same pool as me, and the same Frog system. He's incredulous that I want to ditch the Frog, which has been working for him and the old owner of my house for 8 years now.

I opened it up earlier this week, and tested the water and though it was clear, the CYA was 140ppm, and I was looking at $450 in chemicals to buy for the summer if I continued with the frog.

Instead I followed went with liquid chlorine, and am currently SLAMing the pool. The water already looks clearer, and it's only been a few hours.

Anyway, I wasn't even worried about replacing mine with a straight pipe, but I just noticed my gasket on the mineral reservoir is leaking. For the $8 a new gasket cots on amazon, I could probably just buy a section of PVC, glue, and remove the stupid Frog altogether.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do use a higher than suggested amount of chlorine because of concerns about sanitizing properly. However, the wife absolutely hates the residual smell of chlorine. I don't use the chlorine packs from pool frog, as I hacked a container top to accept 3" refills of chlorine tabs. I am also using 2 tab floaters to supplement the chlorine levels...probably as overkill for what the system is designed for. My lps is as clueless as I am.

I like the idea of saving money so if removing the mineral system saves money in the long term I am all for that. I spend annually enough only for a mineral reservoir, frog bam, and of course 3" tabs. No other required maintenance so far.

I will look into converting over to a more traditional system as described here.

Thanks for the responses so far.

With proper chlorine levels there is no residual smell. Smell usually results when there's not enough chlorine in the water so you actually have the byproducts of things being broken down.

Reactions: mklahr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.