Sand Filter for New Pool, and the Current One

May 15, 2016
EUGENE
I got a cheap pool last year to see if we would use it, and we did. We're going to keep it this summer and upgrade to a 6000 gallon pool next year.

I want to get a sand filter so I can stop buying cartridges and dealing with its poor results.

What I'm looking at is a 3000 gph intex pump/filter because it's only 150 on Amazon right now.

So if I install this on my 1700 gallon pool is it going to be too much overkill? I am installing some heating panels, and the stock pump is definitely not up to that job.

So will it work, or is there a better size for 1700-6000 gallons?

Thanks,
Skymeat

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!!

You should be able to use the bigger pump and sand filter on your existing pool prior to the upgrade without issue. The filtration will be MUCH better that the terrible cartridges.

As an aside, using a reusable aftermarket cartridge (Filbur, Pleatco, or Unicel ... I can not remember who makes the right size) is much better than the throw away Intex cartridges.

Thanks! I was just worried about it being a whirlpool mostly, I will install a skimmer at the same time.

How loud are the sand filters? Just generally, should I plan to locate it 20/30 feet away and around the corner?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.