Re-plumb for Vac

Jul 21, 2008
Well it is spring and I am ready for a project. The dedicated line for the Vac was capped off when I got the pool so I can hook it up however I want. How exactly, do I want? =]

So, Where should I run the Vac line? The return side? The Pump side?
And how should I T it in to that line? My lines have Ts already and I will take a picture of that when I dig it up.
Also should I valve any of the lines, like the step jets for better pressure/suction?

-Nathan

pool_visio.jpg

image source borrowed from KenJ

inbamanow said:
So, Where should I run the Vac line? The return side? The Pump side?
And how should I T it in to that line?

It depends on your cleaner. Suction cleaners have to be connected before the pump. You should have a valve on it so it can be turned off when you want it off. Pressure cleaners usually have their own pumps, although some can be run from the existing pump. These would need the line connected after the filter, again with a valve for control.

Hmmp, whay did I not include that I don't have a cleaner and will choose one based on what you guys tell me...

I can go either Pressure or Suction with The Pool Cleaner and can't decide what is better. or possibly the Polaris 360/380...
ARG

Anyone want to tell me their preference... we get some pine straw, a few shruby leaves and sand/dirt/grass nothing too major as the neighbors removed all their trees.

inbamanow said:
Hmmp, whay did I not include that I don't have a cleaner and will choose one based on what you guys tell me...

I can go either Pressure or Suction with The Pool Cleaner and can't decide what is better. or possibly the Polaris 360/380...
ARG

Anyone want to tell me their preference... we get some pine straw, a few shruby leaves and sand/dirt/grass nothing too major as the neighbors removed all their trees.

Just out of curiosity where did you find your capped port? Terminated at the pad or buried underground? I need to locate mine and its not terminated at the pad.

As a general rule of thumb pressure side cleaners perform better than suction side but most do need a booster pump so they cost more.
The biggest advantage to pressure side is that they collect the junk in their own collection bag instead of sucking everything into your filter so this does extend your time between filter cleanings a bit (but you do have to empty the cleaner's bag!)
Personally I prefer pressure with a booster pump, then, if you have the flow, boosterless pressure, and suction last. With a suction cleaner, even with a dedecated line, your skimming will be reduced a bit while the cleaner is running but with a pressure side cleaner you will always have full skimming power even with the cleaner running.

Thanks waterbear...

mdhwoods Mine was capped beside the sand filter, where they had a broken device that may have been some type of booster. It was a big plastic canister(coffee can sized) but it was very broken and old. So he capped that line , but left that device for me to ponder. Never by a house from some that promises to show you stuf after the closing. =]

I have decided to get a Suction Line Vacuum.

So, when i re-plumb that PVC into the suction like do I use a T or should I do a Y junction. I'm not sure if it matters, but I would think a Y would be more efficient. Also, Should I put a Valve on the Skimmer side and the vac side or just the vac side?

Thanks awesome people; My pool has been Clear and Blue for 7 days on BBB.

inbamanow said:

So, when i re-plumb that PVC into the suction like do I use a T or should I do a Y junction. I'm not sure if it matters, but I would think a Y would be more efficient. Also, Should I put a Valve on the Skimmer side and the vac side or just the vac side?

I doubt you'll find a schedule 40 PVC Y. I've never seen one. I'd put valves in both lines so you can adjust suction as required for vacuuming.

Well it was a bad day for me yesterday...

I dug up the PVC infront of the filter/pump and found the one that was capped. I just off the cap and ran a snake down the line to find where it came out. I couldn't find where it came out it just hit something about 15 feet away. So I tried from the pool side to run a garden hose into the suction port, but it hits something even quicker(about 6 inches in) .

I also tried pushing water each way with no luck. The water just comes back out each pipe.

How are vacuum lines usually plumbed... They had a Hayward Navigator before...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
inbamanow said:
Well it was a bad day for me yesterday...

I dug up the PVC infront of the filter/pump and found the one that was capped. I just off the cap and ran a snake down the line to find where it came out. I couldn't find where it came out it just hit something about 15 feet away. So I tried from the pool side to run a garden hose into the suction port, but it hits something even quicker(about 6 inches in) .

I also tried pushing water each way with no luck. The water just comes back out each pipe.

How are vacuum lines usually plumbed... They had a Hayward Navigator before...

Sure your not just hitting an elbow? They can be a bugger to get a snake around.

inbamanow said:
Sure your not just hitting an elbow? They can be a bugger to get a snake around.

No... I probably am, but I still can't figure out why water won't come out...

quite possible that the path of least resistance is to just flow back the way it came in. You would need to close off the end that you hooked the hose to so that the water can only come out the other end. That way it would either build pressure or come out the other end.

JohnT said:
inbamanow said:

I doubt you'll find a schedule 40 PVC Y. I've never seen one. I'd put valves in both lines so you can adjust suction as required for vacuuming.
Sure you can find them. It's just you're looking in the wrong place. Most local plumbing warehouses don't carry all these fittings. You need to find a commercial piping supply house or order online from a site such as this one: pvcfittings.com. They sell true wyes and full-flow wyes.

There's really a lot of variety of fittings for schedule 40. You just might have to pay a little more for the specialty ones. The website above is really a great site. Just email any questions and they'll respond quickly and kindly. (Don't worry. I am not affiliated with this company in way ... yadda yadda. I just like their service.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.