Hayward Goldline GL-235 Solar Controller Wiring

kasri

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2016
Fremont
Hello,

This is my first post ... so please be kind. We recently brought a house that has pool with Solar heating. The setup current setup is as follows,

1) Pool timer drives the filter pump
2) When the filter pump is running, 240V is also supplied to the Solar Controller
3) Solar Controller powers the Booster Pump (0.75 HP)

Note that we do not have a value actuator in our setup. Basically, when the Booster pump is turned-on, it circulates the water to the solar heater.

We had Heliomatic solar controller that has gone bad and I am planning to replace it with GL-235. The main question is on the wiring, since I want to use the 240VAC thats powering the Solar Controller to also power the Booster Pump.

I am attaching the wiring I am considering.

1) Can you please confirm if this works,
2) In this wiring, booster pump always has one of the active lines (120V), Is this OK and safe?

Thanks,

Attachments

• GL-235 Wiring.jpg
    GL-235 Wiring.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 80
I am one of those guys that run to an electrician when it comes to electricity and when dealing with pools I always recommend using one, you are your family's safety is worth it..

That is just my thinking, sorry

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, I have no idea what those terminals are in the controller, but I do not think what you have drawn is recommended or right.

I think pumps are supposed to be on separate breakers.

I just looked at the manual and you should be wiring it up like Figure 4 ... which also has one leg of the power always hot to the booster pump.

Well, typical of Hayward, there seems to be some contradiction in their manuals for this system. According to this diagram, which is how I would initially think it would work, the two right hand terminals are outputs, not inputs.

If it were me I would be testing the outputs with a VOM to ensure what is shown is what is really happening. As you have it now, I don't think the booster will work. It may be that you have to eliminate the blue connection you have and move the red "dot" up the the terminal where you show the blue wire connected to.

Dan

Thanks for the replies.

In my current setup, filter pump (1.5HP) and booster pump (0.75HP) run on the same 240V AC circuit. We have a separate circuit breaker for this AC Circuit.

Although Figure 1 shows the two right terminals as High Voltage Output, Figure 4 clarifies how to connect to booster pump. Since I do not have a separate circuit for booster pump, I am just re-drawed Figure 4 so that booster pump also draws power from the same circuit as Filter pump.

Attachments

• GL-235 Wiring3.jpg
    GL-235 Wiring3.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 61
I have also found two other TFP posts that discusses similar topic. I am including these just for the benefit of others who might be looking for similar information.

Confused about wiring the GL-235 solar controller up for timer overide

GL-235 to operate Intex SWCG pump

I will definitely update this thread based on how we finally add the GL-235. I am also looking for an electrician to help, but would n't mid trying this on my own if I can get confirmation on the setup from someone experienced.

Before I turned anything on with the pumps connected, I would verify the voltage inputs and outputs.

Lets number the terminals from left to right 1-6 (1 being the ground terminal) term 2,3 are L1, L2 for 240, and term 3,4 are L1, neutral for 120. Lastly, 5,6 are outputs to the devices. as it is now, you have 240 going into the controller and one leg of another circuit going into the #5 terminal which is an output

Is the booster pump a 120 or 240 volt unit?

The booster pump can run either at 120V or 240V. I am planning to run it using 240V.

Since the main questions are for Terminal 5, 6, I can hook up the Solar controller without any connects to the booster motor and test the voltages on Terminal 5, 6.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that is great, I am happy it worked out... I do the same thing when it comes to power and the house/pool, no need to fry everything and they are licenced :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.