I need help with my chlorine

May 5, 2016
Washington, NJ
My Chlorine levels are still reading zero. Right now i am putting 2 3"pucks into my floater around pool, however the tablets are close to 4 years old from our small innotex pool. Should i put my tablets in my skimmer basket or use the new tablets i just bought still in my floater? i just wanted to finish the old tablets before i started my new ones. Last time i added tablets was last monday

- - - Updated - - -

And i shock my pool every sunday night

We're going to need test results to help you out, Mike. That means having your own test kit at home. Do you have one? See here in Pool School: Pool School - Test Kits Compared The TF-100 is the best value but the K-2006 is passable.

You'll also need to know that long term use of any solid chlorine product is not good for your pool. It will cause problems. Always.

Old tablets are just as potent as new ones, as long as they are stored cool and dry. However, you're tablet and shock (powder?) usage are not keeping up with chlorine demand, likely because of an algae outbreak that started due to insufficient chlorine levels and now has only gotten worse because of insufficient chlorine coupled with rising CYA levels from the shock and trichlor.

Generally, TFC doesn't suggest using pucks and granular shock. Both of those end up adding "extra" chemicals (either stabilizer - CYA, or Calcium which will increase the hardness of your water) that can not be removed by evaporation or use of the pool. Over time, if those chemicals build up, you can end up with a real mess on your hands.

As mentioned, please take a look at the Pool School link and do a little reading. You might be very surprised at all of the misinformation you've been operating under, and all of the money you've been wasting.

all my other readings are spot on except for my chlorine and my local pool store set me up on a schedule with exact chemicals when to use and how much to use depending on readings with testing the water every 3 days or so and i do have a kit.

You had me at pool store. Pool store testing is generally terrible. A ruse to get you in the door to sell you chemicals that your pool may not even need. Daily testing is required to maintain a pool. They might tell you it's spot on, but guess what? You've got no free chlorine despite pucks in the pool and shocking. That means something is growing in your pool. Starting to get cloudy? You can stay on the pool store merry-go-round or get your own test kit and read about TFP methods. One or the other. The only way you're getting advice here is if you follow TFP methods. Mixing our advice with the pool store will not work. We're here to help if you commit to taking control of your own pool.

Mike, I'll reply to a couple of your initial questions ... it's never a good idea to puts tablets/pucks directly in the skimmer. If you have to use them, place in a floater or in-line skimmer. As Joel mentioned, the older tabs should still be good if they were stored in a cool/dry place.

Now our philosophy seems to differ a bit from there. You mentioned your readings are "spot-on", but haven't shown them yet, and that you do have a test kit. It would be good to share with us what your test levels are at the moment and what test kit you are using because it tell us if there might be any disparities in the levels. A prime example is what you are experiencing - not showing any FC (chlorine). Which one FC or CC? From there, what is your current CYA level as that determines what your FC level should be. For a pool store to give the impression that any pool can be maintained by a pre-set schedule of chemicals confirms why here at TFP we don't hold pool store testing or advice in the highest regard. Pools are a bit like pets - each is unique and needs specific attention each day.

We'd be happy to help with your chemistry if you would like. I suspect some of your levels may be in question even though you appear to be on a set schedule. If you would like our help, just let us know. Have a nice day.

i am here for advice and i plan on taking control of our pool. My pool is very clear, not cloudy or slimy, i dont have the exact ch number off the top of my head but i will check that when i get home and yes i did read the pool school as well, i just know some people told me to use the skimmer basket for pucks and some said use the floater

- - - Updated - - -

durango 4 test basic kit-results are at home i just remember seeing my chlorine still low

No worries. Run a full battery of tests - whatever your kit will support and then post them here. You'll likely need to purchase a supplemental test or two so you can get the complete picture for us to look at.

We're here to help you, we just need you to get us the numbers that will tell us what is going on. :) Googling your kit, it looks like you can get, at the least, FC, Ph, and TA. We'll also want to know CC (combined chlorine - this tells you if something is growing in your pool), CYA (cyanuric acid - this will tell you how much FC to you need to have in your pool to keep it safe and algae free), and CH (Calcium Hardness - which helps to know how to keep the pool from scaling or, if its plaster, from eating your plaster).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.