New AG Pool Install - Green water

Nov 30, 2015
Iota, LA
I just had a new 27' above ground pool installed this weekend. I filled up the pool from my water well over the course of 36 hours. The pool turned green before I could even finish filling it up. My test results are as follows:

FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 250
CH - 75
CYA - 0

This morning, the pool was full, so I turned on the pump and, after obtaining the above test results, I mixed 2 packs (1 pack per 10,000 gallons) of calcium hypochlorite in a bucket of pool water and dumped it in next to the return.

I understand that the calcium hypochlorite will add both chlorine and stabilizer to my pool.

Is it expected that on an initial fill that the water would already turn green?

Based on my test results above, is there anything else that you recommend that I do to get my water right?

What should I do about my high TA?

The TF-100 does not test for iron levels. The water that I used to fill the pool did come from a well, but went through a water softener. So, the majority of the iron should have been filtered out. But how would I test for that if the TF-100 doesn't include that test? Is there another recommended test kit that I should by that will test for iron?

I stumbled upon this forum during my pool research late last year and decided to start my new pool following the guidance the trouble free pool forum. Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I must have misread something that lead me to believe that it also added stabilizer.

Do you have any recommendations on what I should do about my high TA?

Any recommendations on test kits to test for iron and/or other metals in my well water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.