Big Leak After Opening - :( urgent questions

dannyboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2008
Denver, Colorado
Hey All,

Pulled the auto cover back to see the water level line midway up the skimmer. I have not been in this house for two seasons now so was worried that winterizing from 2014/15 was no longer 'solid'.
Had filter running over night after performing a SLAM process and I've woken up this morning to see the water level at the base of the skimmer plate. Believing that the skimmer was the problem and I had a crack somewhere, I carried on my day to now look again and it has dropped a further two inches.

For some reason, I seem to remember my pool may have had an issue with the Hydrostatic Valve from the season in 2014.

Any advice on where to go with this? Water is freezing cold so replacing at present is not my favorite option

I have now blocked off the drain return in the skimmer (only have two holes - one to drain, other to pump) and winterized that line by blowing and capping.
Will the water continue to drain?
If that is the problem, Can I refill keeping that line closed permanently until I replace the liner?
Can you replace a Hydrostatic Valve with water in the pool? (pool company said I couldn't)
This is an inground vinyl pool. wrinkling on the liner is happening in the shallow end on the walls so wondering if they will come out
I did do a drip test of food coloring around the returns, light and skimmer. Nothing obvious and the water is too cloudy to see the drain to inject at depth without being in it and submersed (brrr!)
This cannot be the main skimmer to filter line as water level has now dropped below this.

Why did this not empty when system was off?

Any quick advice greatly appreciated to save the liner and water already in it.

Dannyboy

If someone else doesn't come along, I would post a new question so you get a better response. Make sure to include a pic and the length of the tear.

I'm no expert, but I hear they last between 8-10 years depending on how well the pool is cared for (PH, FC with CYA recommended levels). The UV light also degrades the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.