Light green cloudy water

May 16, 2016
Fallsington, PA
Hi new here. I opened my pool this year to find it a complete swamp. I have never had this happen before in the 5 years I have owned the pool. The pool is a free form fiberglass pool. 36 x 16(at the widest), sun shelf, 6 foot deep in the deep end. I am guessing its around 15,000 gallons. I have managed to turn the water from a swamp to a light green cloudy color. I just ordered the TF-100 test kit today. While waiting for the test kit, would you advise that I raise the chlorine level? All of my test numbers appear in the normal range using test strips I have (I do not have exact numbers with me). I need to make this pool clear and swimmable by 5/28 for a Memorial Day party. You can see the progression thus far. This has taken two weeks and the filter is running 24/7 and is backwashed every couple of days. Thanks for your help!

15,000 gal
2 hp pump
Hayward Sand filter
Hayward 250 heater

Pool 1.jpgPool 2.jpgPool 3.jpg

Hello and nice to have you with us! :wave: Really not much specific you can do until the test kit arrives, but perhaps add about 1/2 gallon of bleach each day. I wouldn't do much of anything else other than sweep & brush just to keep the algae from getting too comfortable. Once you get the test kit, post a full suite of numbers for us. That's when you'll be ready to take some real action.

Welcome to TFP!

You have come a long way already, but have a ways to go. Yes, keep the chlorine level up - but without knowing the CYA level we can't say how high is right. Plus, until you get the TF-100 you won't know the true FC level.

First, don't backwash on a schedule, but only when the pressure rises 20-25%.

Just understand, there is no magic. While 12 days is generally sufficient time, it can take longer.

Here is what you will be doing: SLAM Process

My gauge on my filter does not work well. I will get a new one and keep a better track of the pressure. Would adding some DE to the filter be a good idea, or is it way to early for any of that? Thanks again for all the help. I will get test numbers as soon as the TF-100 gets here. On my test strips, the CYA looks to be in the 30 range (little hard to tell with the strips though).

If it were me I would buy a cheap gauge today from the pool store and order the nice one TFTestkits.net. The difference in the TFKits one and the pool store are amazing.

I would not add DE until I had a gauge.

Way too early for DE, but later it may help with the final push to clear the water. Give TF Testkits a call and have them add a pressure gauge to your order. They stock the nice glycerin filled gauges that only read to 30, so you can really see 1lb pressure changes.

Water is still blue, but very cloudy. I am still adding bleach. Hoping my TF100 test kit arrives today. Is the cloudiness a good sign?

Here is what it looked like this morning.

Here is what it normally looks like. (That's a mosaic NHRA drag racing tree in the shallow end).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very good! So now we know the FC needs to come down a bit to 20. The sun will handle that. 20 is your key SLAM number. It would be nice to know your pH, but of course we can't tell when the FC is so high. But you're on your way now with TF-100 accuracy.

I backwashed the filter and installed the new pressure gauge as well. It's 16 psi when pulling just from the main drains and 20psi when pulling from the main drains and skimmer. I will be adding some water tonight from the backwashing which will also lower the FC some. I will run another test before work in the morning. The fiberglass now has a yellow look to it, is that from having the chlorine level to high? Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.