Pump Problems

Sep 6, 2013
For the past 5 years, I have only been able to get 3 to 4 months out of a pump seal before it leaks or ruins the bearings. I have a 1.5 hp pump with the correct size impeller. I have used century, hayward and leslie brand pumps. I have installed a back flow value so no DE can get to the pump seal. I never see bubbles in my clear pump basket. I have been told my wiring is correct by an electrician. I limit my pump usage to 2 five hour seasons a day. The pump is not in direct sun. At a loss on why I cannot get a full season from a pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A couple shots in the dark.

1) Is your DE filter leaking DE back into the return water, which would then be getting sucked back into your pump.

2) are you in a particularly dusty or dirty area with a lot of wind blown particles getting into your pool

3) where is you pump located, on a clean concrete pad, pavers and crushed stone, or something else

Thanks for your reply:

The pump is on concrete pad.
I am not in dusty area.
A pool company installed a back flow valve so The DE could not get back to the pump. I am not sure how to check for another DE leak.
I have been stumped.

Aslo have you inspected the seal damage to see how and where on the faces the damage is occurring, or is the leak happening because the motor shaft is corroding and pitting under the seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.