Please Settle Our Pool Discussion Re: 1 Year Old

May 11, 2009
Hanna City, IL
We have a 18 foot round above ground pool in our backyard. We currently have a standard ladder that goes on the outside and inside of the pool. It can be difficult to manage. I want to build a deck with stairs and a lock. I think it would be safer. My husband is nervous to build a deck because he fears our one year old will get up on it and climb in. To those of you who have been in the same boat before, what would you choose?

build a deck to your current construction code...usually requires a 4-5ft self closing auto locking gate, which will prevent the little one from entering the pool on his own. Once on the deck area you MUST always supervise your little one. Also, although it may not be required in your area, you may choose to install a pool alarm which will sense accidental bathers in your pool...our code requires one and we pick up a model from poolguard.

Unless your ladder has an integrated saftey fence or the ladder swings up...the deck will be safer...just mho

Hmmm, to us it was not even an issue. Safety first.... no matter what you decide. I don't think one is safer than the other. Either one MUST BE SAFE, period.

We have an 18ft round and opted for a 2-piece fan deck that sits on top of two of the ledges of the pool. There is a ladder which goes up the end of the deck, then an in-pool ladder that comes down from the deck. There is a self closing/latching gate on the deck, and the ladder which goes up to the deck is able to swivel up and off the ground onto the deck.

AND.... I watch my kids like they were about to vanish into thin air. lol

I think it's up to you which design you like better, because making either of them safe is option number one.

Needless to say, it's absolutely about safety. I think we are both thinking that our ideas are safer! I understand what you are saying though, that regardless they both have to be 100% safe.

That being said, for those of you who built decks, are you content with the safety latches? I think my husband fears that she will be able to get up the steps and into the pool. I know that no latch is safe if you don't shut the gate. I fear that we won't use our pool (and our daughter loves the water) if we have to muscle that other ladder in and out every time.

My aunt and uncle are offering us their stairs (like the wedding cake stairs) because they aren't putting their pool up. I think we would use the pool much more if we had a deck and that kind of stair. It's difficult to get my daughter in and out of the pool with the small ladder we have now.

Decks can be completely child proof. You need to use railings and gate(s) that only have small openings (no wide gaps a child could fit through) and a child proof auto locking latch on the gate. All of that is widely available.

A nice deck completely transforms the swimming experience. Some people can be in the water and some on the deck and you all feel like you are together in one place. I highly recommend it.

We had just a ladder when my son was 1, and he was always falling and slipping. He got hurt more with the ladder-only, always slipping off the wet rungs. We finished the deck install when he was 3. The little ones loved jumping off the deck into the pool, we had a small inflateable waterslide too. Before the deck they used to try jumping off the ladder which was a pain since it was the only way in and and out.

I think you would end up loving the cake-steps/deck combo. No safety measure replaces watchful eyes. And I think with either combo the eyes are the key :cyclopsani: .

Keep in mind that yard toys, patio furniture, etc., can be placed next to an AG pool providing access, so a railing around the pool is always a good idea too. We don't have one, but that would be safer for littler ones when playing out in the yard. I recall once finding the Little Tykes picnic table next to the pool. The kids had pulled it over to reach a ball that had fallen on the wintercover (non-swimming season) of the pool. They were older, 4 and 7, but still, I cringed at the thought of what could have happened. :shock:

Thank you very much guys! I agree frustratedpoolmom, that the deck would actually prevent spills. The other thing that worries me about the ladder is that she could go right off the back of it. There is nothing there preventing her. (Except that she can't swim over to it.) If I would try to put her on the steps for me to get out of the pool, she could fall five feet down! I'm overweight and it is difficult to get both of us (wriggling little fishy of a daughter) and big fat me out of the pool at the same time. My husband is much taller with longer and stronger arms. I don't think he realizes how difficult it is for me.

Frustratedpoolmom, did you build stairs with a self-locking gate on your deck? Have you been happy with it? Like I said, we currently have an 18 foot round, but when this one bites the dust, I would like a bigger pool. We live on a farm in central Illinois. I teach middle school. I think the pool would get a lot of use with a deck in years to come. Thus, I don't want to build a splash deck until we have a bigger pool. 0

Here's my deck:

poolandbaseball006.jpg

The lower level - which has access to the pool, has a seperate gate with a self-latch. There is (in theory) no way to enter the pool level (don't pay any attention to the uncovered opening between the two levels that DH was supposed to cover with lattice :oops: :hammer: . Thankfully the kids haven't noticed it or tried to squeeze thru.)

I don't have a good photo to show the gate area, and my camera is broken. Its over to the left in the shot, next to the Deck box of pool toys. You can continue by the pool deck level and go on down the stairs to the yard. Does that make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I'll have to check at home. I checked my preferences and they are all set to display the pictures. Perhaps it is because I'm using Safari here at work. I will check when I get home.

Thank you!!! :-D

It was the computer at work that wouldn't allow it. I'm able to see the pictures from home. What a gorgeous pool! Thanks for sharing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.