Never played Guitar before

sevver

Mar 27, 2007
Morris, IL
I have never played guitar before, and Sunday I get to hop on stage at church this Sunday and play Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones. Not too hard of a song, but I can't wait to see how I do. Gotta love a crash course. It is only one song, the intro song, and after that I have to go sit behind my computer again, but it will still be cool. Plus it will give me a reason to pick up my electric and actually learn to play it.

I got one for my oldest son for his birthday and he is trying to learn now...I was smart and got him an amp that he can plug into his headphones or his computer...I am questioning my wisdom about the computer :sad: due to he has 150 wt speakers hooked to the computer :rockon:
Steve

That's cool Steve - should be fun for you. I'd like to learn the play the drums someday. For the sake of my family, they'd have to be the electronic kind. :lol:

Our church has a full blown band, and I don't just mean a few guys who only play on Sundays. They rival just about any live performance I have ever heard. The lead singer won the Houston area Step Up to the Mike contest a few years ago (local version of American Idol) and the rest of the musicians are great as well.

Growing up, I always hoped we'd be late to church and miss the old gospel type music (sorry Grace), but now I want to get there early so I don't miss anything.

BTW, if any of you live in the Sugar Land area of Houston and are looking for a great church, drop me a pm and I'll give you directions or the web address.

My son has learned to play mostly by getting the tabs for the songs he likes (ugh) and we also had a friend that teachs give him lessons.
He's been playing a little over 2 years now and he can rip the heart out of Crazy Train or Eruption.
I told him when we got him his 1st guitar that he had to learn a Marillion song and it had to be Easter a kind of ballad :-D and he plays it quite well also.
Check out my sig if you don't know who Marillion is I'm sure some of you would enjoy them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sometimes we are our own worst critic.

Glad it went well!

I've been trying to teach myself piano. I think not having a set date to actually perform for others, probably hinders my progress. It's hit or miss for me and my practicing.

I feel that having a deadline brought some seriousness to the matter. I find that without some sort of structure I tend to wander too much to really learn something, I do much better in a classroom setting than on my own. I can get good at something on my own, but it takes a good reason, and again, I tend to need to get good at it by a certain time, or at least know what I am doing and the steps involved, materials required etc.

My oldest son has been trying to pick away at learning guitar. Nobody in our area teaches. He has a book and a couple of old acustic guitars - both my DH and I were given guitars in the early 70s by our parents who wanted us to learn. We really had no interest and luckily the guitars went into cases and were well cared for so are in pretty darn good shape. Strings were replaced, they were tuned and now he awaits some way to learn. he wants an electric but I told him, learn something on this and actually show us you are serious, we will buy an electric and an amp.

BTW, more info on that Fender CD ROM? And good idea to plug into computer/headphones!

sevver,

Congrats on your first successful gig!! I remember my first gig. I was brand new at drum playing and bought a cheap set of Pearl drums. With these drums I also got a cheap drum throne (seat). Before playing that night a rather large man was helping me tune my drums. We played for a bit and in the middle of Rocky Top my throne broke and I hit the floor. The whole night was a comedy of errors so I ended laughing my head off about it. I wish I had that on video because it looked like someone opened a trap door and POOF I was gone!!

SeanB,

So you want to be a drummer? I will tell you from experience it is a lot of fun, but a lot of work too, and typically more expensive than other instruments. Unless you go with electronics. A decent set of electronics can run $1000 and a top of the line set of Roland Vdrums are around $5000. Acoustic sets can run anywhere from the cheapie $400 set to as much as you want to spend..several thousand dollars (like my set of DW's).

If you do get in a band you are usually the first one there and the last one to leave. Guitar players have their amp in one hand and guitar in the other (usually, unless they are playing through stacks and have a hundred effect pedals!!) so they can setup rather quickly.

The band I am in now, I usually use my electronics (it's just easier and I'm pretty lazy), but for our shows this year (we have one this Saturday night and we do a BIG 4th of July show with fireworks and everything) I am using my DW acoustic kit. I bought mics and all because these are outdoor events. So now instead of a quick setup and 2 channels on the mixing board I am doing a major setup with mics being submixed, having to deal with the tuning of the drums, and hoping it all sounds good, there is a lot more on my plate. I just wanted to play my acoustic drums this time, because they play better than my electronic set. It's more trouble, but worth it!!

Y'all pray for us!!
JD

Heres my little future rocker, she's been playing for about 2 years (she's 12). She's just about ready to try out electric. Her teacher (& godfather) has been working with her on some different picking styles, its so cool to watch those little fingers make such beautiful music. She loves to play out by the pool at night, the dog really likes it too!
<a>
103.jpg
</a>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.