Adding Borax to reach recommended level and think I created more trouble for myself

Jul 26, 2015
Youngsville, LA
At opening this season, person at the pool store recommended adding Borate to stabilize pH. I have been using PoolCalc app to control chems with inexpensive household products instead of pool store products and have been very happy. Apparently I did not aggressively lower the pH after the Borax loading and now I have a persistent white film on my serface level tile that is not coming off. Did not notice the surface level film/scale till after a wave of heavy rain that almost crested the pool. Once heavy rains past and adjusted the water level, now persistent film.

Current Chems:

FC 5.8
pH 8.5
TA 123
CH 367
CYA 83
SALT 3000
BORATES 19

Added 1gallon Muriatic Acid based on these results, yesterday. Retesting again tomorrow at pool store and continuing to adjust for pH using Pool Calc. Any other recommendations to clean off film/scum would be greatly appreciated.

Current pump run time 8hours at 40% Boost.

Have you considered getting one of the recommended test kits so you can test yourself? The ONLY test I "trust" from the pool store is copper levels as I fill from our well.

TF-100 in and 1st test completed, here it goes:

FC-3
pH-8.2
TA-160
CH-300
CYA-70
Salt-2600
Borate-30

Based on these results, I plugged into PoolMath and added the stuff I had on hand: 80# Salt, 96oz of 6% Bleach and approx 100oz of Muriatic Acid.

Could someone point out the thread that prioritizes what chem to adjust first and in what order to make adjustments.

Great job getting the test kit, major difference in levels..

I do
bleach
MA
anything else

wait 10 to 20 minutes between adding (brush the pool) then add the next chem...

keep your FC above 3 at all times and target 6, I know the chart says 5 for SWG but if you target 6 then you're good :)

Is the pool cloudy? if so start a SLAM, if not your good

From the looks of your results you need to lower TA (target 80) and PH
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I hope this helps :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.