SWG settings

May 11, 2009
I have a 6,000 gal above ground vinyl pool that I use seasonally in NC. I am away from the house for extended times, but when I am there I do acually measure and adjust pH, chlorine, etc. The filter is a cartridge filter with a 1,500 gal/hour pump.

I just purchased an Aqua Trol SWG, (with the plan to get a larger pool next year) and would like any estimates on the initial settings for the control panel. I have estimated that 1 volume circulation would be 4 hours of pump time.

Question: Any thoughts on adequacy of this for the times that I am away? If this is an appropriate pump time, any experience on what a starting point for the "Desired level %" setting would be?

I understand that a daily measured approach would be ideal, but my schedule does not allow.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TFP!

I would start the percentage setting out around 50% and then adjust it from there based on the FC reading in the early evening for the next many days. At first you can adjust it each day, but as you zero in on the correct setting you need to give it longer between adjustments so the pools FC level can settle down.

There is no quick shortcut to find out the correct percentage. It depends on so many factors that it is impossible to guess in advance. It is better if you guess too high, that usually just wastes electricity. Guess too low and you might get algae.

Also, you need to make sure all your chemical levels are balanced correctly for the SWG to work right. You didn't post any test numbers, so I can't tell you if you have done that correctly or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.