To SLAM or NOT

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
I started noticing a brown/green layer in the pool in a few areas such as ledges and a few areas on the wall. The water appeared to be clear. Once it was brushed and vacuumed obviously the water would get cloudy. This started 3 or 4 days ago. I have replaced the cartridge filter with my clean backup. Vacuuming as ofetn as possible.
Test results as follows:

5/14, 3PM
FC 5, CC 0.5
PH 7.8, I know this is a little high been adding baking soda to get TA up to 80
TA 80
Salt 3300
Wtr temp 81

5/15, 10AM, just prior to pump starting
FC 4, CC 0.5
nothing changed
Shut off SWG
I added 116oz of bleach just for precautions.
FC 10, CC 0.5 at 12N
FC 6 at 630PM, pump is off normal.

Gonna wait till sun is off of pool and test FC to start the OCLT

At this point, there's really no need to do the OCLT. Brushing, vacuuming, and a short-lived FC increase will not work. You need to perform the SLAM thoroughly as noted on the SLAM page (link below). That's the only way to kill the algae. You need to first lower pH to about 7.2 then increase and maintain the proper SLAM FC level based on your current CYA (what is your CYA?). Only after doing that should you then consider the OCLT as the final item to test when looking to pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Let us know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

For your FC (Bleach), regular HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value) will work just fine. The regular/plain stuff. :)

Best to round-up when not sure. So a CYA of 70 requires an FC SLAM level of 28. :) You can leave the SWG off or at a low percentage if you wish during the SLAM. Some people find it easier to calculate bleach additions with it off. It's up to you. Good luck, and let us know you have any more questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got home from work at 530. Tested FC at 16.5 and PH 7.6. Vacuumed pool.
Now i have a benchmark. Added enough bleach to bring back to SLAM level of 28. Add MA to bring PH to 7.2 Now waiting to test FC again. Once i test FC again i will thwn shut off swg and test again in tje morning before i go to work.
Leaving the pump on all the time during the slam...of course

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.