Newbie, Need help please?

May 15, 2016
Tickfaw, La.
Okay, I'm new to this and really want to change to the TFP way. Before discovering this method we started off by flocking the pool aka swamp with Walmart HTH products. That helped but now it's already green again! I had just bought a 6way HTH kit....yippie! In order to start slamming I actually ordered from amazon a separate Taylor FAS/DOD test kit(have not received yet). Right now my readings are
TC 5
ph 8.2
TA 100
Hardiness 140
CYA ??? I filled the tube and the black dot got bigger
(now remember these results w/ HTH 6way test)
& this is after I added like 2 gallons of liquid chlorine & brushed the entire pool

I just need some guidance, I think I'm making this harder than it needs to be!
Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TFP!

Use Poolmath to calculate 30 ppm of CYA, aka cyanuric acid, aka stabilizer and add it to your pool in a sock hanging in front of a return. Big box stores sell it in 4lb jugs.

Use Poolmatch to calculate how much muriatic acid to add to lower your PH to 7.2. Be sure to enter TA, CH and other test results because they factor in to the PH adjustment add the acid with pump running and retest. PH could be higher than 8.2 as that is the top of the test range. Retest and and add acid again if needed. Once the PH reaches 7.2 and stays start your SLAM.

Here's how, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I do have a question about the Slamming process. Just to be clear... When I start I add enough bleach to "shock" lvl, test water, then add more every hour? Without a good test kit (which I did order) how do I know if it's working? Should the water appearance change that quick?

Depends how swampy your pool is. If very swampy it will use a lot of chlorine quickly breaking down to goo. If not too swampy it will start to turn blue pretty quickly. Once FC doesn't drop so fast you can spread out the testing and dosing to 3 or 4 times per day. The process works no matter what, it just goes faster if you test more frequently. Scoop out anything you can with a leaf rake and brush daily, more if you can stand to.

Here is a handy chemical sheet, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Have you memorized this yet? :) Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I did. I started SLAM @2pm and keep checking it each hour. According to my goofy 6 way HTH test it's darker yellow than the top(5) reading. So I haven't added anymore bleach yet. But I know I will still slam at least once more today. Sound okay? I just think it's weird that it hasn't moved. The water is a teal color right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
According to my goofy 6 way HTH test it's darker yellow than the top(5) reading. So I haven't added anymore bleach yet. But I know I will still slam at least once more today. Sound okay?
Well, you are not really SLAMing your pool. You are adding doses of chlorine that you can not measure precisely with that test kit.

It is quite possible you can get by using your own methods but the criteria to END the SLAM will not come into effect for you because you cannot measure precisely enough.

You seem to have the correct idea but the wrong test kit.

Okay...after slamming all day yesterday my pool is crystal clear!!!! I'm so excited and happy!����
here are my test results....
FC 7.6
CC. .6
PH. 7.9
TA. 120
CH. 140
CYA 40

So I'm guessing I need to continue to Slam? Also I didn't do the over night test! But it went from a FC 14.6 last night to FC 7.6 this morning...

Now those are the way we like to see test results. :goodjob: Now you still need to continue the SLAM. Don't let-up. Based on your CYA, your SLAM FC should be 16, so you need to increase that right away. Your SLAM is not finished, and if you stop the SLAM the algae will just return. Continue to maintain the FC and do all the things on the SLAM page until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria.

- - - Updated - - -

No need to do the OCLT until the water is crystal and CC reading is below 0.5. The OCLT will be your last test for the SLAM.

Ok I feel like a complete Idiot! Okay so during my slam I ran out of R-0871 ordered it and I finally got it today. 3 days I've been waiting... Anyway I discovered I was multiplying my FC results by .2 instead of .5 for a 10 ml fas-dpd test!!! So my FC was really higher than I realized! So today I start retesting and find out my cya is practically gone! Is it because of the high FC levels? Ugh... The pool is still beautiful and crystal clear but my fc is now 6.5, ph is 7.8 & cya missing in action! And I know I should continue slamming right? ��������

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.