First test after resurface

Nov 10, 2009
Riverside, Ca. (SoCal)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool resurface was completed yesterday and finished filling up my pool this morning. The company doing the job isn't going to be able to stop by until tomorrow morning but they assured me that I can go up to a week without chemicals. That made me feel concerned though because everything I've read states to begin working on the chemicals and brushing ASAP. Anyways here are my current reading using the Tf-100 Kit. I am hopeful they will change in the right direction tomorrow after the pool is looked at. Right now I am running the pump and will brush it twice today with a nylon brush, company discouraged a combo brush and said nylon only for now. I stopped by Walmart and bought some borax and baking soda. I have several gallons of acid and a bag of conditioner (99% CYA). Should I add some stuff today or wait until tomorrow. I plan on maintaining it after the 2 sessions the company is providing with the resurface contract.

FC- 1
CC (Chlorine Drop Test?)- 1
pH-8.2
TA-270
CH-150
CYA-100

I will, thanks. So after reading the article I will have to keep the pump on 24 hrs a day for seven days correct? Is that also at full speed or a different lower rpm? Also, should I add a sequestrant? Not sure about the amount of metals if any in my tap water but some advise to put it just in case and others feel there is no need to add it if just to be safe if there is no need for it.

I checked with one of the Experts here about the sequestrant use in new plaster start ups. This is what Joyfulnoise said:

"Typically one adds sequestrant at startup as a calcium scale inhibitor because most of the phosphonate based chemicals are good at binding calcium. The addition of sequestrant is "insurance" against random calcium scale patches."

Thanks for those that are chiming in. I was at work while the builder had a pool guy come by and put some chemicals in and clean the filter. I also decided at the last minute last night and poured some sequestrant in the pool just in case. The pump has been on and will stay on 24 hrs. a day for the next week or so. It is at 1750 rpm for about 20 hrs and the other four are at 2700 I believe. These are the readings I just got from testing the water this afternoon. I plugged the numbers in The Pool Calculator, I just follow the dosage measurements and continue monitoring the pool chemistry right? Also, I should be running all these tests everyday or limit them to a couple only and which ones? Thanks again for the help.

FC- 4
CC- 0.5
pH- 6.8
TA- 60
CH- 250
CYA- 70

Did you add 70 ppm of CYA? Why so high? If it is saltwater please add that to your signature. You need to maintain chlorine based on your CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep it at target at all times and never let it drop below minimum or the pool will unsanitary and algae will grow. It is important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times. Especially in a new pool. New plaster will make PH rise so test often and learn your pool's patterns.

Not sure what the pool guy added, I didn't get a chance to talk to him. According to the chart, for a reading of CYA 70 my FC should be at 5-8. With that said pool calculator has me adding 50 oz. of 10% bleach to raise the FC to 6, the median recommended range. My pool is not a salt water and was just resurfaced three days ago so I thought adding chlorine was not recommended for at least a couple of days. I just added 9 lbs. 2 Oz of 20 Mule Team Borax, pool calculator recommended 9 lbs. 15 oz to bring the pH up to 7.6 from the 6.8 it currently is. I'll test it again tomorrow and make the pH adjustments. As far as CYA, I will test it again to confirm my previous result but I'm assuming that jumping the amount it did in one day is concerning so I'll post these results in a few minutes when I do it again.

Here are some reference photos for the CYA test, https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

It is recommended to slowly raise your FC level in a replaster. But, it is more important not to let algae get a foothold in new plaster and then have to SLAM the pool with FC levels of 28 ppm. Now that the CYA is in there the chlorine has to go in to prevent algae.

As for reading the chlorine/CYA chart, it is not a recommended range of 5 to 8. It is recommended to maintain your FC at target level of 8 at all times. And it is required to never let FC drop below 5 or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will start to grow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are my readings for the past three days. I have used mainly borax and chlorine these days to get the pH and Alkalinity in check. I have been brushing it once a day and looking forward to the one week mark so I can skip day or two and give my arms a rest.My pump has been on as well the whole time and I'm just hoping that I've been doing my best to balance the pool little by little. The CYA test does get me neurotic about whether I see the black dot or not. I feel those readings may be somewhat affected by my tendency to side on the fact that I fool myself into seeing it when it may be obscured already. Any advice that you guys and gals may have would be welcomed:thumleft:.

Today
FC- 4
CC- 0.5
pH- 7.5
TA- 170
CH- 300
CYA-90

Wed
FC- 5.5
CC- 0.5
pH- 7.2
TA-150
CH- 350
CYA- 70

Tue
FC- 1
CC- 0.5
pH- 7.2
TA- 130
CH-250
CYA- 85

Yeppers get and keep that FC up please.

CYA test-Just GLANCE in the tube. Do not stare. Fill to the bottom line (100) glance in. IF you see the dot, fill to the next line, GLANCE in. If you see the dot, fill to the next line, etc. Fill to each line until you do not see the dot when you GLANCE in. Call it that number and get the FC up to the recommended FC level.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.