Replace the motor of a single speed pump with dual speed?

May 6, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I just calculated how much electricity my pump (Hayward Replacement Series 750) is using and I am displeased. It's using at least 2300 kWh per year, which is about 1/3 of my annual electricity consumption.

It's only 3 years old, so I'm reluctant to spend the money to replace the pump with something like the Intelliflo (although I am half-considering the idea), but I'd like to use less electricity. Is it possible to replace the single speed motor with a dual speed? Is there another option I should consider?

Re: Replace the motor of a single speed pump with duel speed?

You can usually find a 2 speed motor which will work in the pump but you need to make sure that you match the brake HP of the two motors (i.e. Brake HP = Label HP * Service Factor). So the new brake HP must be at least the old brake HP and can even be a little larger. Also, when shopping for the new motor look for the same frame so that it can be installed in the old pump housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.