Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace the motor of a single speed pump with dual speed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace the motor of a single speed pump with dual speed?

I just calculated how much electricity my pump (Hayward Replacement Series 750) is using and I am displeased. It's using at least 2300 kWh per year, which is about 1/3 of my annual electricity consumption.

It's only 3 years old, so I'm reluctant to spend the money to replace the pump with something like the Intelliflo (although I am half-considering the idea), but I'd like to use less electricity. Is it possible to replace the single speed motor with a dual speed? Is there another option I should consider?
    18,000 gal plaster IG. Sand filter. 3/4 HP single speed pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace the motor of a single speed pump with duel speed?

You can usually find a 2 speed motor which will work in the pump but you need to make sure that you match the brake HP of the two motors (i.e. Brake HP = Label HP * Service Factor). So the new brake HP must be at least the old brake HP and can even be a little larger. Also, when shopping for the new motor look for the same frame so that it can be installed in the old pump housing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner