Spa Seat and walls very rough like sandpaper

Without a full set of test results it's really impossible to tell but I would venture it's scale deposit from improper water balance. The higher temperatures in the spa make scale more likely to form. Your very low CYA and high TA last year and the resulting pH spikes are a contributing factor also. Hopefully you got your CYA up to around 80 ppm and your TA down to 70 ppm like we suggested last year!

GZelano said:
when i opened the pool the ph was high and the chlorine level was low but evrything else seemed fine. How do i get the scale deposits off the walls ?
"Fine" is not a test result number and tells us nothing. We need to see all the numbers. The only test numbers I have seen you post were in this thread last year
post49710.html#p49710
and they were NOT balanced for a SWG and were an invitation to scaling.
First thing is to post a full set of test results and we can take it from there but I wlll tell you that in many cases the only thing you can do is acid wash. I assume it's a plaster spa?

You might also want to take some time to reread this pool school article:
pool-school/read_before_you_post

and this thread:
water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html

Like I said, I hope you raised your CYA and lowered you TA last year when we advised you to. If not then that is your first step. (or your second if you do not have a good test kit like we describe in pool school that uses the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Getting the kit would be your first step! :wink: )

I have used a fine grit (400-600) wet sandpaper to remove scale. It is slow going but works quite well without taking too much off.

GZelano said:
ph-7.5
cl-2
t/a-70
cya-30
ch-220

Plaster pool and spa - pool seems to be smooth but spa isn't. Spa was smooth when we closed pool in october. When i opened the pool it looked like little white flakes stuck to the spa walls.
It was little white flakes. It's one of the forms scaling takes.

well you did get the TA down but your CYA is WAY too low for a SWG and is the main reason that your pH was spiking enough to create the scaling conditions Get your CYA up to 80 ppm for the next step and read the links I posted above! We want to get your water balanced so this does not continue to happen before we try and fix what already has!

Ph - 7.6
CL - 2
T/A - 80
CYA - 60
Calcium - 200
Salinity - 3320

Also just added the Borates today. Will try to order test strips and measure when they get here. Do you think i need to raise the Calcium level to 300 for gunite ? Any other suggestions ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.