First Opening after First Closing

May 12, 2015
La Grange, KY
Hey Everyone,

This was my second time opening my pool, but the first after I closed it myself. The first opening was after the previous owners closed, and I opened it to a slightly green pool that took about 5-6 days of SLAMing before passing the Overnight test.

This year, I opened a little differently. I left the cover on while I filled the pool. While filling, I hooked up the filter and pump and as soon as the water was at the right level, I turned on the pump and added a gallon of bleach. Keep in mind that I hadn't been able to see the water yet. About 3-4 hours after adding the first gallon of bleach, I added another and kept the pump running. I let it run overnight and added another gallon of bleach in the morning. All of this was done assuming that I would open up to another green pool, so I figured I'd keep the sun off of it as much as possible until we were able to get the cover off.

Anyway, around noon on the third day, we removed the cover and to my surprise, the water looked just as we had left it last fall, perfectly clear. I tested the water and got:

FC: 16
CC: 0
pH: 8.0
TA: 100
CYA: 30 (somewhere between 30-40)

I say all this not to brag (well, maybe a little :) ), but to see if this is normal. I typically read on here about opening to a green pool and that was my only prior experience as well. I don't think I did anything special at closing; cleaned the pool well and raised FC to SLAM level, that's it. I didn't expect this, so I'm thinking there's something I'm missing. Too good to be true, I guess.

Just wanted to hear from some of you that have good experiences opening a pool.

Thanks,
K13

The transition from winter closing to opening is different for everyone, but it sounds as though you caught the algae before it did any real damage. It was good that you increased immediately to an FC of 16 (SLAM level) to make sure you killed the algae and passed all 3 SLAM criteria. Of course your pH is probably just showing as elevated because of the high FC. At this point, you appear to have done very well.

Ahhh, thank you. I forgot that the pH test is not accurate at high chlorine levels. I was headed to the store to grab some muriatic acid. I'll wait until the FC comes down to test again.

I haven't passed the OCLT yet; today was the first day I've tested. I'm pretty confident, but wish me luck tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.