Balancing chemicals 6 weeks after replastering

colorfaux

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 28, 2015
austin/tx
Hello all! We just replastered our pool with pebble and had a company start up the pool and brush for the first month. We added salt, CYA and turned on the SWG after 1 month. We did this with the help of Leslie's, LOL. Now we are having a difficult time getting a good reading from Leslie's to maintain out warranty. Leslie's even admitted no one ever gets a perfect reading! Then they sold us too much salt and we cautiously added it over 3 days. Here's my question: The Stonescapes recommended FC level of 1 to 3 PPM seems low for the recommended CYA of 50 to 80 PPM. I will add baking soda (9.3 kg according to pool math) and then my PH will rise. Finally, can anyone recommend a reliable pool company to test our water in South Austin so we can maintain this elusive warranty!!!

StoneScapes recommends:
FC 1 to 3 PPM
TC 1 to 3 PPM
pH 7.2 to 7.6
TA 80 to 120
CH 200 to 400
CYA 50 to 80
salt 2500 to 3500

Current reading from DPD
FC 4
TC 4
PH 7.4
CH 270
TA 50
CYA 60
salt 3600 (according to Leslie's who admits their salt readings are high)

Following TFP recommendations will result in better, safer water. Period.

The Stonescapes recommendations make no sense when you consider the FC / CYA relationship, which the pool industry willfully ignores.

FC and CYA have virtually no impact on the pool's surface. The pH, TA, and CH are what could impact the surface.

Sometimes I think these testing requirements to maintain a warranty are a bit of a scam to allow the manufacturer to void it since maintaining their ranges might be impossible. What if my tap water has CH of 500ppm? Or what if my tap water has a TA of 200ppm?

BTW, you should really add the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test to your kit so you have the equivalent of one of the recommended test kits.

I can recommend the best pool tester in the world YOU :)

I would recommend the TF100 (in my sig below) to keep a record of your water levels, this will give you the best and most accurate testing we know... I would also check the boxes next to the speedstir, Taylor salt test :)

I just saw you have the DPD already, yep, add the FAS-DPD test will be good :)

Well all righty then! It looks like I've learned a lot here including snapping to the impossible FC/CYA relationship. Actually it is a hugh relief not having to continue to go to Leslie's and play their game. I'm happy to have figured it out 6 weeks into balancing. Still, getting PH and TA to play my game is tough with new plaster! I will order the recommended kits and increase my TA. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.