Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater and Solar Panels!

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater and Solar Panels!

Hey All!

Hubby has new ...yes, it's the same old nagging hubby from my SWG post, I decided to keep him around since the algea wouldn't even eat him but that's another story

Anyway, we would like to acquire a heater for our pool since we are in the middle of an oak forest, and some of the larger tree's that shade our pool (for most part of the day) are not on our property so therefore we cannot have those taken down.
    Mostly our pool temp does not go above 86 (mostly dwindles around 82) and that's in humid hot NC in the middle of August!

We are looking to get:
    Solar Panels on our roof
    A Heater that is then supplied with power from the solar source

We are in NC so if anyone can lead us in the right directions to where to start doing research that be great!
    Thanks!

Cheerio!!
    NCSalt! IG - Mountain Lake 21x40/Vinyl Liner Fiberglass stairs/Hayward Sand Filter/Polaris 3900 w/Booster-pump (5060)/SWG Aqua Rite-Prologic-T-15 cell/Hayward Elec. Heat Pump/2 skimmers/Gallons: 18900/900 sq ft stamped concrete/Concrete Coping/TF100-Test Kit Hot tub: Dynasty Spa/Neptune Series, 5-person, 400 gallons, carbon filter plus 2 regular filters, LED color lights. "I control my pool, and not the other way around":-)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater and Solar Panels!

By far the most efficient approach is to pump the water up to the roof and use swimming pool style solar heat panels to heat the water directly. A great place to read all about this is Hot Sun Industries.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    By far the most efficient approach is to pump the water up to the roof and use swimming pool style solar heat panels to heat the water directly. A great place to read all about this is Hot Sun Industries.
    Thank you Jason I will check out the link you've provided
    Cheerio!
    NCSalt! IG - Mountain Lake 21x40/Vinyl Liner Fiberglass stairs/Hayward Sand Filter/Polaris 3900 w/Booster-pump (5060)/SWG Aqua Rite-Prologic-T-15 cell/Hayward Elec. Heat Pump/2 skimmers/Gallons: 18900/900 sq ft stamped concrete/Concrete Coping/TF100-Test Kit Hot tub: Dynasty Spa/Neptune Series, 5-person, 400 gallons, carbon filter plus 2 regular filters, LED color lights. "I control my pool, and not the other way around":-)

4. Back To Top    #4

I installed Solar Panels for our pool last summer. On sunny days I can increase the temp of my 10,400 gallon pool 5-7 degrees. You can find more information about the project at htt://www.bakerlabs.com/solar and there is a link to performance data I collected during the first season. I only spent about $1200 for all the parts and did the labor myself.
    In ground 15 X 33 10,400 gal. Fiberglass
    Two Returns, Two main drains, One skimmer
    Aqua Logic SWG, Hayward TriStar 1.5HP
    Hayward C3025 (325 sq /ft) Cartirdge Filter
    Solar Heater (Details at http://www.bakerlabs.com/solar)

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PVille
    I installed Solar Panels for our pool last summer. On sunny days I can increase the temp of my 10,400 gallon pool 5-7 degrees. You can find more information about the project at htt://www.bakerlabs.com/solar and there is a link to performance data I collected during the first season. I only spent about $1200 for all the parts and did the labor myself.
    Sounds awesome and looks rather easy to install...the only problem we have is that the house is rather far away from the pump/pool plumbing (about 55-65 feet)...and we are surrounded by oak-trees.

The roof of our home gets great sunlight but the pool doesn't. The tree's that block the sun are on our neighbors property so we cannot remove them.

But I am sure we come up with a solution! Thanks for the weblink I enjoyed reading about it!

Cheerio,
    Tanja