Quick Help on Opening Pool Balance of Water

Jul 25, 2010
North Bergen, NJ
Hi folks, I'd appreciate it if you could briefly recommend what I should do to balance the water chemistry of my pool now that I have opened it for the first time this season. Also if you could suggest the order in which I adjust each one, it would be greatly appreciated as well. I remember doing this several years ago with your help, but I just need a quick simple refresher if someone has the time...thanks. I will post my specs below

Pool Specs
  • Pool is inground 14x26 vinyl
  • approx 10,000gal
  • Pentair Salt Water IC 20
  • North NJ
  • Shocked Pool 4 days ago
  • cleared it up from green to crystal clear

TF100 Kit
Chemical readings are:

• [*]PH 7.2
    [*]Alk 150
    [*]FC 6
    [*]CC less than .05
    [*]CYA 50
    [*]CH 275

• Borates: Unknown (but added 25lbs of Boric Acid last pool season)
  • Salt Reading from IC20 3900
  • Water temp 62

Also on a side note, I realized that my shocking the pool upon opening didnt quite reach the shock levels, I think I only got it up to 111 or 12 FC during the process. but now that I have my readings and I noticed that my CC never even got up to .5 during the process and my pool has a clear blue sparkle to it....should I even bother wasting additional chlorine jugs and trying to shock it again? I used the Dollar Tree jugs and it didnt list the actual Chlorine concentration on the jugs but the label was identified as Home Goods.

What do you think?....thanks for taking the time to assist

Ok thanks Richard and Dave, for the advice on the SLAM/overnight testing and CYA....

In regards to the pH & TA e readings, if I understand you correctly, there is nothing I should do now to balance this out with chemical additions until my pH rises? If so, then what is the next move to lower TA?

Or am I overall good with these numbers to swim in?

Also, If I am grasping this stuff and understanding this correctly, would these numbers I have, be grounds for the perfect scenario use case for using Dichlor over regular bleach?

I could basically kill 2 birds/1 stone by increasing the FC to Shock levels to be on the safe side..and also bring up my CYA to a more respectable level 10-12 ppm by adding approx. 32oz of Dichlor?

Would you say this would be a good move?

Ok thanks Richard and Dave, for the advice on the SLAM/overnight testing and CYA....

In regards to the pH & TA e readings, if I understand you correctly, there is nothing I should do now to balance this out with chemical additions until my pH rises? If so, then what is the next move to lower TA?

Or am I overall good with these numbers to swim in?

Also, If I am grasping this stuff and understanding this correctly, would these numbers I have, be grounds for the perfect scenario use case for using Dichlor over regular bleach?

I could basically kill 2 birds/1 stone by increasing the FC to Shock levels to be on the safe side..and also bring up my CYA to a more respectable level 10-12 ppm by adding approx. 32oz of Dichlor?

Would you say this would be a good move?
Yes, you can use dichlor to boost CYA, but remember it's very acidic, so you'll need to wait for the pH to rise before you add it. Right now, assuming the temperature is bearable, there's no reason not to swim in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.