Heater not starting-up

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

I initiated the heater icon on the remote, the icon came on, but after 5-10 min, I noticed the temp has not increased. I went to equip pad and turned off the heater at the control panel. I turned it on again at the c-panel, but nothing happened, so I turned off again, It was in spa mode the whole time.

The heater had the yellow light lit on "stand-by" and a code of "bo". I looked this up in the Hayward H400FD manual and nothing was listed as an error code, if it is one at all. We did have a rain storm last night, and I have heard that these devices are not the best water proofed. Could it be a water issue?

Finally, Hayward replaced the motor on the VSP 3 days ago and the tech, that was really good', did some program grouping for me. I also had an actuator valve that was installed incorrectly by the PB for the filter-bypass, so he corrected that. He grouped the filter bypass [valve-3], the heater and spa all together. I was going to run the spa, heater and blower together bc I do so to circulate water this way, and run the heater periodically for maintenance purposes. After putting in spa mode and starting the heater from the remote, I meant to hit the blower, but I hit the filter-bypass [valve-3] and when I re-hit the filter bypass to turn it off, it turned off both the spa and heater. Could this have had an impact.

As a follow-up, I just went out again to the c-panel and went from pool to spa mode, then turned on the heater again and after 15 sec's, it did not fire-up like it usually does in 3-4 seconds.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this or does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks,
tstex

I just did a little googling and bo means bypass operation, meaning you're controlling it from a remote, not the control panel.

I see LO when the water temperature is below 58 or something and the heater is off.

When my service light came on, I just killed everything at the circuit breaker for ten minutes and then turned it back on and everything reset itself and it worked fine. Twice I've done that in two years. One caveat: I have no automation to complicate things.

Thanks Richard....you were on the right track...what I found out is that when the newly set of operations were grouped, and I shut off or closed the flter-bypass valve or valve 3, but turning it off, it also shut off the pump and spa mode... when no water goes thru the heater now, the heater intuitively as a safety feature shuts off and goes into a Standby mode,,,if longer than 2 minutes, it then goes into the Lo mode.

I went back to the panel, put the system ins spa mode, then filter/pump, change the heater from "standby" to "Spa", waited 2 min's, then turned on the heater from panel and in 5 to 6 seconds, the heater fired-up...it was the grouping [automation] of the functions that shut it off and put the heater into a safety mode...

Thanks a million Rich, appreciate your follow-up - tstex

Well, just for good measures, I went back to the equipment pad, after I turned off the heater, the display still said "Spa" mode. So I changed it back to "standby"....then I read your thought about resetting everything, so I turned off the breaker to the heater, waited 3-5 minutes, then turned back on and I now have an LO error code and the service light is lit again....I'm going to leave it alone for the rest of the day and see what happens. Thoughts?

When you have a automation system, the heater is usually left in either spa or pool mode and the temp on the heater is set to 104. Then the automation system controls turning the heater on/off. So you should put it back to spa mode.

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the follow-up.

I have never touched the heater until today, which I believe was put into a "cut-off" mode bc the spa/pump filter was accidentally cut-off due to a recent grouping of the spa/filter/pump w valve3...when I accidentally hit the "valve-3" icon bc it was recently relabeled, and when I went to cut it off, it also cut off the spa/pump filter mode and thus the heater cut-off too.

I reset everything but turning off the breaker and now after X hrs, it's not stating any code except what it usually would show before this happened. When I attempt to start the heater again, and if something goes wrong, I'll post back what happens. I will also post back if it goes well too.

Thanks again,
tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.