Closing Advice

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I know at this point in the season everyone is asking for pool opening advice. But i need closing advice. This year was horrible. When i took off the cover.. It was worse than the pond down the street.

Can you guys give me your number one piece of advice as to how to close the pool so I don't have a swamp when i open?? I have only owned the house for three years and while its been bad the past two seasons when I open... Its been nothing like this. Keep in mind... Im still learning.

What am I doing wrong when I close my pool for the season??

I went from this when I closed...

1f24b67a8ccfb1340d1aaeba56db8862.jpg

To this when I opened today....

ac7ad57618114956467b1cb2af53b94d.jpg

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

When do you close? Typically closing late after the water temp has dropped below 60 and opening early will make a difference. I also bring water up to slam level, let it drop, add Polyquat, and then added more bleach to slam level before closing. It was our first year opening our pool but we opened clear!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've opened and closed pools for over 10 years. The reasons vary by pool. Is it a tension cover with springs or is it a solid cover weighed down by tubes? How old? I also see your pool is at the bottom of a slope. Possible you had a washout?
Would anyone recommend checking for high nitrate or phosphate levels ? Low FC and some heat from an early spring/indian summer?
Put that liner back in the bead with some hot water and a taped up flat head.
Best of luck.

I have a tension cover w springs. Would that make a difference??

Would should my chlorine level be when I close?? Perhaps it wasn't high enough when I closed???

If the cover gets to be old it lets in a lot of sunlight, enabling algae growth when there is no circulation, no chlorine, organics in the water and some heat. Solid cover when old will act as a tea bag if leaves get on and break down. Same premise with allowing light in.
Hard to know the exact causes without knowing the surroundings,closing chemical levels,your maintenance and testing etc.

Last edited:
I did no cover, closed the pool in nov and opened last day of Feb, pool water below 50 before closing and before opening.. took FC to SLAM level before close.. added 1 gallon 10% and brushed in Feb 1st because FC was at 5... this is what it looked like when I opened :)

4FlzKU2h.jpg

GJ250Crh.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would should my chlorine level be when I close?? Perhaps it wasn't high enough when I closed???

It's a possibility. Your FC level would be dictated by your CYA level so until you know that we couldn't say. You can find the corresponding chart in the forum by doing a search. Stick with this group and they will help you out for sure!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

When I closed (September 27) my CYA was at 40 and FC at about 7. Ph was fine. I didn't have a trace of algae. I did not add algaecide. I have a mesh cover that doesn't appear to be all that old - came w the pool when we bought the house three year ago.

Most of us look most importantly at water temperature as the guide to closing and opening. 60 degrees is the magic number. (I go a bit lower to make sure). Most of us also take the pool to shock level for CYA before closing. Some of us then add polyquat. Of those that do, some of us then return the FC to shock level.

I have a feeling in your case it was temperature and/or not taking it to shock level.

Also, you could try putting a cheapo tarp over your mesh cover and secure it with sand bags or bricks. Some people find that keeping debris off that way helps with opening.

Update...

Thanks to this site I'm ready for Summer!!

I've only owned my pool for three years and everything I have learned came from Pool School and the great advice on this site. And I have never stepped foot in a pool store...

Ok, maybe once for a rubber stopper...

3c810a8c8dfab056c625ad547969b1b6.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.