New Pool Owner... My Story

kenmar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2009
Schnecksville, PA
Hi All,

I just wanted to relate my story...

My wife and I moved into our newly built house this past December.
My wife always wanted a pool, and as such, we had one installed at the same time the house was being constructed (30k Gal, in ground.)
Never having owned a pool, I really did not know what was involved in maintaining it. So, off I went to do some research...
I first started asking family and friends who owned pools what they did to maintenance their pools.
Almost without exception, their responses went something like this... "I periodically test with strips", "I keep 3" tabs in the skimmer", "I get my water tested at Leslies, and they tell me what to buy." Additionally, everyone I spoke to also had problems with algae that they dealt with by using algaecides or shocking the heck out of the pool.
Being a computer geek, I also spent a lot of time Googling "Pool Maintenance" and came across poolforum.com. I was intrigued by the information I was reading on poolforum, but (as you know) poolforum is not accepting new users. That is when I found TFP.

For the past month or so, I've been lurking on this site absorbing as much info as I could so when our pool was completed, I would be reasonably knowledgeable about what I would need to do to maintenance the pool.
Well, last Friday was the big day (they filled the pool and started the filter.)
Saturday morning the PB came to my house for "Pool school."
He showed my how to use the equipment, he put 3" tabs in the skimmers, and gave me a tube of test strips.
He mumbled that eventually I may want a good test kit (I already had purchased a TF-100).
During his training, I listened carefully, but bit my tongue and did not say much.
In my mind, I was thinking...
* My CYA and FC are probably zero.
* My pool is exposed to direct sunlight the entire day (so I better get some stabilizer in there quick)
* I'll probably go with faster acting liquid CYA (as opposed to crystals) even though it costs more.
* Probably not much point in shocking the pool until I get the CYA up.
* I can probably use 3" tabs and granulated CL to shock in the near term without much risk of raising CYA.

My point is that had I not educated myself about basic pool chemistry from this site, I'd be mindlessly dumping chemicals into the pool without a plan or any idea how they worked.

At this time my stats look like this:

FC: 9
CC: 0
TC: 9 (down from 10ppm at sunset the day before)
CYA: ~22 (I want to get it closer to 30-35)

My current goal is to get my CYA a little higher, get FC to around 3, and then start looking at Alkalinity and PH.

Thanks TFP

Hi and welcome! :wave:

Great story....Knowledge is key!

You should probably look at your PH/TA sooner rather than later...

What does XXX heater mean, because low PH can be corrosive to heaters, so it would be good to know what your PH/TA are right way, no reason to wait. :wink:

FYI, never put tablets in your skimmer. This can be very damaging to the skimmer parts and also the pump.

XXX is just a place holder until I can get the exact name/model from the equipment.
I agree, I'll look at PH and TA this week.
At this moment, I am using strips for PH (until I can sit down and read the TF kit instructions for PH)
The strips seem to show that PH is in a normal range.
If the PH was showing something wild on the strips, I would have immediately tested with the kit.

kenmar said:
(until I can sit down and read the TF kit instructions for PH)
Unless you are a VERY slow reader that should take about 10 seconds (it's really the easiest test to do, along with the OTO total chlorine test)
Fill the pH comparator tube with pool water to the line on the top of the tube
add 5 drops of R-0014 pH reagent
Cap (hint: use the red cap) and invert a few times to mix (Don't shake)
Compare color to find out pH (It helps to hold the comparator in front of a piece of white paper or against a northern sky) :goodjob:

The TA Test is only slightly more complicated but does assume you can count! (since it's a drop counting test)!

I also hope you appreciate my slightly twisted sense of humor. :shock: :twisted: :) The point is that you will find the testkit actually EASIER to use and read than the strips! (Once you actually get up the nerve to use it--it only looks intimidating!)

Ken, I 'kind of' welcomed you here, but want to welcome you again -- you have done your research, gotten the GOOD test kit and have a very good idea of how to maintain your pool :goodjob: 8)

As you know, we'll be here to help you with any issues you may encounter :-D (I hope you never encounter any issues and just post to show us pics or stop by the coffee bar to say "HI" :wave: ) :wink:

Unless you are a VERY slow reader that should take about 10 seconds (it's really the easiest test to do, along with the OTO total chlorine test)
I have read a few posts on here where people were misinterpreted test results or got wildly inconsistant results.
I want good results and don't want to waste reagents.
I really just need a free 1/2 hour to spend with it. I'll give the PH/TA tests a whirl tonight.

I get your sense of humor, no worries.

-Ken-

If the rain keeps you inside, so you don't add enough chlorine, that might turn your water cloudy :)

Maintaining the correct FC level is the main issue. Rain can sometimes use up FC a little faster than normal. If you are expecting a major storm it is good to add a little extra chlorine in advance, stay ahead of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
however, it could simply be all the pollen getting 'rained' into the pool - test the water and if it's good, wait a day and see if it clears
As has been said, cloudiness is probably from too little fc in the water - however, it could simply be all the pollen getting 'rained' into the pool - test the water and if it's good, wait a day and see if it clears :)
Since I was having a lot of landscaping work done, I assume it was just dirt dust. I waited a day, and the cloudiness is gone.

OK,

My water is chrystal clear, I cannot imagine it being any clearer. I can probably ready the words on a dime laying on the bottom of the deep end.

So...

My current readings are as follows:

FC 2 (I just added 96oz of Bleach)
CC 0
TC 2 (edited)
TA 100
PH 7.8
CYA ~22

Two questions:
1) My pool is in direct sunlight ALL day (should I raise my CYA level)?

2) I have added acid twice (based upon the pool calculator) to get my PH to 7.6. After I have done that, the TA seems to come down (it was 120) but the PH does not seem to budge. Should I be worying about this?

-Ken-

kenmar said:
My current readings are as follows:

FC 2 (I just added 96oz of Bleach)
CC 0
TC 2 (edited)
TA 100
PH 7.8
CYA ~22

Two questions:
1) My pool is in direct sunlight ALL day (should I raise my CYA level)?

2) I have added acid twice (based upon the pool calculator) to get my PH to 7.6. After I have done that, the TA seems to come down (it was 120) but the PH does not seem to budge. Should I be worying about this?

-Ken-

1) Yes. Shoot for 30-50. Adjust FC levels accordingly.
2) Keep adding the Acid, I would shoot for 7.4. The TA will lower into the recommended range and your PH should hold stable at that level. :goodjob:

Is there even any water in that pool?

It is so crystal clear!

From one PITA member to another. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.