1st Time Opening - Question on SLAM

Opened pool and have been SLAMing for about a week. I can only test 2-3 times a day (6:30 a.m, 6:30 p.m, 10:30 p.m.) so I'm guessing it is taking longer than it should. Started green and cloudy, now clean but still cloudy, although less than when originally opened. Here are my latest test results:

FC - 1
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 100
CH - 260
CYA - 30

I finally got the CC down to 0 from about 6 but am still having a problem keeping the FC up. If I get FC up to 16 for the SLAM at 6:30 p.m. it's down to 1-1.5 by 6:30 a.m., same results from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Could there be anything else causing the FC problem and should I continue with the SLAM?

That kind of chlorine thirst points to something still in the water.

Have you vacuumed up any organic debris? Bleach will attempt to oxidize leaves and twigs instead of the algae. Even if you have to work blind, see if you can get anything out.

You might have a load of debris in the filter. It's still in your water, even if it's not in the pool. Have you cleaned the cartridge recently in all the SLAMming? How about the pump basket?

What about lights and ladders?
Think I may have found my FC demand issue?
Problem Found and Ideas needed
Water problems

Thanks for the quick reply!

No debris, have been vacuuming daily. Skimmer baskets and pump baskets are clean. Will definitely change the cartridges tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

Good news though, after adding chlorine 3 hours ago to shock level it is still holding at 12! Water looks clearer as well.

Will check again before calling it a night and hope for good results in the morning.

Thanks again for the tip on changing out cartridges.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Unless your FC test reports 16 pp, you should add enough chlorine to being it back to 16 ppm EVERY TIME.

You are NOT SLAMming your pool unless you bring it back to 16 ppm everytime.

Yes, you will consume a lot of bleach.....that will make sure you are also consuming the algae in your pool.

Please re-read the SLAM article to get a better grasp of the concept.

Your SLAM process will be done when .....

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)

2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less

3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Brush that pool and get your chlorine back to 16 ppm each time you test.

Thanks, I must have mistyped my original post when I listed 16 as my SLAM goal, I meant 12 as my CYA is 30. After overnight FC drop of 1.5 last night and cleaning my filter cartridges this morning along with a complete brushing, I'm hoping to get my overnight drop down to to 1 or less tonight. Water is now sparkling clear and I've only had a 2ppm loss all day today. Looking forward to a sparkling pool this year thanks to TFP.

It took 8 days and a lot of chlorine, but worth every minute learning how TFP works!

Thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.