Help selecting a new VS pump

May 13, 2016
Redding/CA
Hi all, I'm in the market to replace my current energy hog (2HP constant speed Jandy JHP2.0) with a new VS pump. I know my current pump is oversized, and that the lines into my pool are too small. Right now, running the pump without the cartridge filters installed generates a pressure of 26 psi. Clean filter pressure through my 240 sqft cartridge filter is 28-30 psi, depending on how thorough I was cleaning them. I looked up the manufacturer's pump curve, which tells me I'm getting around 100 gpm through the pump at 28 psi, going to essentially nothing at 40psi. My pool is 18,000 gallons, so this gives me about a three hour turnover of all the water in my pool on a clean filter.

My real question is, what type of turnover should I be looking for on a VS pump. I've heard 8-10 hours is an okay rule of thumb, but I don't know if I should be looking for more flow than that at full speed if I'm trying to clean the pool up following a SLAM or something like that. If like to go down to at least a 1.5 HP VS pump, and 1 HP would be even better on my energy bills if I can still get enough flow.

Anyways, thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Uh yea that is wicked overkill on the pump hp.... that aside any of the VS pumps should be plenty for you pool find the one that fits you budget and automation currently installed. Also match pump voltage unless you want to change the wiring.

Pool turn over is not important in residential pools. Just to run the pump long enough for the pool to look clean and have all the debris removed. Proper chlorination will take care of sanitation and algae. A 1-1/2 hp VS pump will be more than enough. I run my pump at 1100 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 4 bucks a month to run my pump 8 hours a day.

I am a Pentair guy only because my stuff is Pentair and I like it. Here is a great pump for you, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

As CJ noted, make sure you have the proper wiring for 220 if you go that route [if you are 110 now], and the proper type GCFI breakers. Make sure if you install a VSP, it's on its own separate dedicated DB 220 GCFI breaker.

It does not appear you have an controller for automation, but if you do and it's not listed, you will be limited on another Make/Model VSP w a diff manufacturers controller.

When switching to a VS pump it is highly recommended that you add surge protection. The pump controllers are very sensitive to surges and you don't want to lose the new pump to a power surge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.