LifeTime Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Altamonte Springs, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool numbers at pre-SLAM, Thursday afternoon (5-12-2016)
FC: 7.0
CC: 0.5 or less
pH: 7.4
TA: 90
CH: 280
Temp: 76 degrees

Thursday afternoon I decided to clean my filter cartridge because I noticed the pressure was up. It was completely green! Luckily, it easily washed off. I was surprised to see so much algae. We removed the light Monday so I guess there could have been some algae in the space but none was visually evident. I don't think that amount of algae could have grown in 4 days so it must have been there already. I haven't cleaned the filter since I bought it (60 days ago) because the pressure wasn't rising. My pool water was clear but on some days when I brushed I saw 'stuff' kicked up off the floor of the pool (especially if I had not brushed for 2 days). I chalked it up to dirt and pollen being washed from the screen enclosure into the pool from the rain and settling on the floor. I didn't see algae on the walls or on the floor of the pool. Because I'm paranoid about an algae attack, I check overnight consumption of FC once or twice a week and I had not seen any overnight consumption.

Obviously, given the condition of my filter (wish I had taken a picture, bright green covering all the folds of my relatively new cartridge) it was time to start a SLAM. I immediately added enough chlorine to raise my FC to 18 and then figured out a couple of hours later I was supposed to be at 24 (my CYA is 60). I also switched the pump to perpetual and brushed the entire pool. After purchasing my TF-100 kit a few months back, I purchased 16 oz of reagent (R-0871) and 4 oz of powder (R-0870) from Amazon because I was constantly testing the chlorine level as I got comfortable with the TFP method. As I started the SLAM, I had everything I needed to test, test, test!

Friday morning (6 am) I measured FC at 20.5 so it looked like 3-4 ppm had been consumed overnight. I brushed the pool and cleaned the filter again. There was a moderate green cast to the white cartridge which I hosed off. Over the day, I added chlorine multiple times and brushed the pool again. I cleaned the filter again in the evening. There was a very light green cast to some areas of the cartridge that easily hosed off. Ran the pump all night.

This morning (Saturday) I checked FC and none had been consumed overnight and CC was .5 or less and the water is really clear and sparkling. I cleaned the filter again and there was the faintest green in a couple areas of the cartridge.

So I guess I'm done?

After a day of hot FL sunshine (moderated by our screen enclosure, tighter weave on roof), the FC is still 22.5. It's going to take a week to get FC back to 7 or so!

Should I add acid even though I can't measure pH? My pH usually increases .1 to .2 per day.

In the pictures, you can easily see the drain that is 8' deep.

Congratulations
attachment.php
attachment.php

If you've been charting your acid consumption, and you feel comfortable with it, you can adjust it blindly. I wouldn't bother. It's so easy to correct once the FC drops that you're not gaining much advantage timewise and your CH isn't so high that scale is threatening.

I just finished brushing the pool and there was no change in clarity from brushing. I also cleaned the filter again checking for any hint of green on the white cartridge and there was none. FC=16.5 so it is dropping nicely. Actually, I am a little surprised at how quickly it is falling but I'm glad because I want to go swimming!

Before the slam I thought my water was clear. I have now recalibrated as to what clear really is. Also, it is sparkling. I saw a thread where somebody asked what does sparkling mean. It's a little hard to explain but I definitely know it when I see it and my pool is now sparkling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.