1 week in

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
So this is my first pool. I'm one week in. Just wanted to share my numbers and express my happiness.

First off, the pool is so clear. It was 66 degrees but I jumped in and swam yesterday. As being a person who swims in a lot of pools, it was so clear, refreshing and not "chemically" at all. My eyes were open underwater and it felt perfect.

My CYA jumped up on me this week. The pool company dumped a bunch of dichlor in so maybe it finally registered. So today I upped my FC to 6 to account for the CYA of 50.

FC 4
CC 0.5
CH 300
TA 130
CYA 50
pH 7.5

Today I dumped 86oz of 10% bleach in to get to 6.5 ppm. Sparkling clear.

Any thoughts on that 130 TA?

My heater is going and it's now up to 69. Let's bring on summer.
3c2a787af31f73237204024ab1ec2789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HI John! :wave: Nice to hear you speak about your pool and water chemistry in a way that shows you really understand it. :goodjob: As for your TA .... let the pH be your judge. If your pH tends to rise really quick each week, then you may want to lower the TA via the acid/aeration method. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity If your pH doesn't move much, just leave the TA alone for now. Enjoy your sparkling pool. :swim:

- - - Updated - - -

John, one last thought on that TA ....... since you have a plaster pool, you will always want to be careful about scale. So enter your numbers into the Poolmath Calculator and look down at the "CSI" row. The TA, pH and CH effect your CSI - potential to build scale. So that may be the only other reason to consider lowering TA sooner. If you have any questions about the CSI level, please let us know.

Pool looks great! Yes, bring on summer! :sunny:

If your PH does rise then adding acid to lower PH will also lower your TA slowly over time. Do keep your CSI between -0.3 and +0.3 to avoid scaling.

Ok so I added all my numbers to the "now" column and my CSI is 0.05. Of note, that's the CSI in the now column. The target column for CSI has -0.1.

So I assume I'm safe for now.

I was messing around with the numbers in the calculator and if I let the TA go lower that pops me out of the safe CSI range.

On a sadder note, a cold front is here and the solar cover is back on. [emoji1304]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, the pool is so clear. It was 66 degrees but I jumped in and swam yesterday. As being a person who swims in a lot of pools, it was so clear, refreshing and not "chemically" at all. My eyes were open underwater and it felt perfect.
Ladies and Gentlemen... <drumroll> you have just witnessed the birth of another TFP pool snob!

You're ruined, John. You'll never want to swim in any other pool. When you choose vacation spots, don't even bother looking at the pool area when making choices. You won't get in anyway. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.