PH when shocking

May 9, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hi Guys,
This is my first post and I find the site extremely informative. One thing I couldn't find is the importance of pH when shocking. I've got a high CYA level right now and am battling some algae growth.

Before I shocked, I had a pH of 7.5. Post-shock (Raising 15ppm) of about 4 hours, I had a pH of 8.0.

Is it normal for the pH to jump under shock? Does it make sense to adjust the pH under shock?

Thanks again guys.

Scott in Dallas

Re: PH Swings and pool damage

It's best to start your own thread when seeking answers. Moved into it's own topic. JasonLion

PH tests are not reliable when you are shocking your pool. Don't worry about PH until you get your algae under control and your FC is no longer at shock level.

Hi chlorine levels cause the pH test to register falsely high. (Lengthy explanation about how the chlorine converts the phenol red indicator into chlorphenol red and how that changes color at MUCH lower pH than phenol red.) Ignore it until your FC drops to normal levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.