Draining Pool Any Other Things I Should Do? Rough Spots, PIC

May 11, 2009
Hi, I've decided that I may have to drain the entire pool after testing all the chemicals. No Partial drain. I have an in ground plaster pool, about 30,000 gallons. I'm trying to have this done before the water rates increases next month.

My pool has some sort of scaling or rough spots on random spots of the pool floor it has some sort of discoloration...and when yellow algae grows, it needs to be brushed more than once in those areas..
Is there something I can do to make it smooth again and remove this?

I'm wondering it there it is something that I can do myself..trying to save money.

I also want to make sure I don't miss anything that I should be doing while the water is out..or to look out for?

I don't get why they say don't drain it in extreme heats, is 70-75 degrees okay?

Also my pool is built near a edge of a hill (where it starts to slope downwards) and the dirt looks really dry. I is my pool going to pop out?

Attachments

• Pool floor sample.jpg
    Pool floor sample.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 187
Rough spots are usually calcium scaling, though they can sometimes be pitting. If the plaster is built up in the rough spots then it is scaling and the scale can be removed with acid. If the plaster dips down in the rough areas then it is pitting and there isn't much you can do until the pool gets re-plastered.

Removing scale with acid is something that should normally only be done by a professional. It is tricky to get exactly the right amount of acid to go in exactly the right place and not damage the underlying plaster.

Extreme heat can crack the plaster, but that would be much hotter than you are talking about.

Your situation sounds fairly good as far as water table issues go, but every situation is unique and it is difficult to be sure. It it has been raining a great deal there, I would be cautious. Also, if there are any dry wells near the pool they should be checked to confirm the water level is appropriately low.

Charles,

Welcome to the forum. Only drain the pool if you intend to do an acid wash or bead blast to get rid of the roughness. Implied in your post is that you think it may cure the chemistry imbalance as well.......it will not.

An acid wash will greatly improve the roughness or possible eliminate it but it is almost always done professionally. One poster on the forum recently bead blasted his pool. You can find that thread by searching "bead blasting" or "acid wash".

Again, draining is an extreme measure and will in no way help with your chemistry imbalance. It should only be undertaken when you are ready to take on the roughness issue with an acid wash or bead blasting.

Im sorry I should have mentioned that the TDS on my non SWG pool exceeded 3000..it was actually more like 4000 or so because the pool hasn't been drained in like 15 years..maybe more? also my CYA is at 100 so I thought it would save more money by doing a drain/refill before my water rates increases next month...Drought over here. will be charged a fine if used incorrectly. Also, I thought it would be a great opportunity to make the plaster look a lot nicer.

Thanks for the bead blasting tip im wondering if I should use a pressure washer also?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.