hi phosphate problem

May 14, 2016
geneva, illinois
Hi all

Any advise for a new member who is seeing phosphate levels of 1700+ Should this be treated? Dont know where this is coming from as pool kept auto-covered, free of leaves and debris, and vaccuumed regularly and hose water tests phosphate free. For the last two spring opennings had very high ammonia which I treated with liquid bleach (twenty gals) in order to get chlorine reading and get ammonia out. Then drained off 20 percent and refilled. Pool water is crystal clear, testing perfect except for phosphates. Worried that in hot summer months or when I am on vacation if chlorine would drop, algae would occur. Never had algae problem in previous yrs, but dont think I ever had this hi phosphates... so should I try Phosfree or not worry?

Phosphates are not really the problem the pool industry makes them out to be and removing them can be a hassle unless you like sitting and baby-sitting your pool for two days straight. If your water is kept properly chlorinated as we teach here, then phosphates are not an issue. Please look around our site and visit Pool School to understand the TFPC Method of pool care.

As for where the phosphates came from, hard to pinpoint exactly but you excrete phosphates all the time from bather waste. Phosphates can be found in municipal water supplies and sometime at levels that are hard to detect with a standard pool store test kit. Many of the popular metal sequestrants and calcium scale removers will have phosphates in them. So, in the end, there's lots of sources of PO4.

A TFP-managed pool is algae free, therefore phosphates are of little concern. I don't see it listed in your sig, but trust the readings you get from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. If you don't have one (shame, shame, shame), that's what you should buy next, not a $60 bottle of PhosFree. :) The proper test kit is your pool's best friend.

Welcome! :wave:

If you use the search box for Phosphates, you'll find hundreds of threads.

This is one of the best. This link should take you straight to Post 10

That said... Hold off on any miracle cures until you're sure the pool is balanced and algae free; a week or two is plenty. Then if you want the extra insurance that Phos-free provides when you're on vacation, go spend the money. You've saved enough by taking control of your pool away from the store that you're entitled to splurge if it brings some peace of mind. But if you add Phos-free when you have some algae, your pool will turn milky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.