Took my test kit to my friends pool

EskimoPie

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 27, 2007
Sahuarita, AZ
Went over to some friends house for dinner this weekend. He has a pretty small (~6000 gal) gunite pool that was originally installed with a Frog cartridge system. I've tried many times to tell him about this site and how easy pool maintenance can really be but he never wants to hear it. The old adage 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink' is especially true in this case.

He's convinced that as long as his pool isn't deep green then everything is going fine. We'd had our pools built at approximately the same time (almost 2 years ago) and I knew he'd been using the frog system for most of this time and had last year modified it himself so he can just put 1" pucks into it instead of buying the frog packs.

We went for a short swim before dinner and even though the water had a slight green coloring to it I went in with my 3 year old anyway (I really wish I hadn't). After the swim, I went and got my TFP kit and started checking his water. pH was 7.5 which was Ok, but then I checked the chlorine and found he only had 0.5 FC and 3.0 CC... His TA was high at 140, his CH was ~400, but then I got to his CYA... I knew it would be high due to the frog and puck usage, but since the pool is fairly new I didn't think it would be crazy high. The first attempt the dot disappeared WAY below the 100 line. So I drained the dropper bottle down to the bottom line and added more pool water back to the top line. The dot again disappeared WAY below the line. So I again drained the dropper to the bottom line and added pool water to the top line. The dot STILL disappeared below the 100 line. I did it again and this time the dot disappeared at the 80 line. I know that REALLY decreases the accuracy of the test diluting over and over again like that, but very roughly 4x80 = ~360ppm CYA. He has >300 ppm of CYA with only 0.5 ppm of FC. Essentially ZERO sanitization going on. I'm very surprised the pool isn't a swamp already, the only reason I can think it isn't is because he also has an ozone system that is constantly killing the algae as it grows.

I wish I'd tested the water BEFORE I got in (I figured that would be too rude) but we gave my son a bath as soon as we got home and I jumped into my properly balanced pool and tried to sit on the bottom for as long as I could to let that chlorine de-funkify me! :lol:

I tried to explain to him how he had 10x the amount of stabilizer that he should and how even the tiny amount of chlorine he has in there is totally useless but he just laughed it off and said his dad ran a public pool for 30 years and he uses the same method that he did <groan>. I said he's going to be in for a rough summer and I guaranteed he's going to have a tough time with his pool in the very near future. He just said even if he completely drains it and re-fills it every year that's only $10 in water so why bother doing anything else. I told him that while the ozone may be keeping his algae at bay, it's doing nothing from keeping bugs and pathogens from being transferred around in his pool. He didn't seem to care.

To top it all off, his 3 kids have been having re-occuring sickness for a while now... the 2 girls have been having urinary tract infections and 2 of the 3 are having tubes put in their ears due to re-occuring ear infections. I'm strongly suspecting the pool being a big contributing factor to their ongoing health issues. I know there really isn't anything more I can do for them and it's THEIR lives, but it's frustrating nonetheless. All I know is that I (and my family) won't be doing any more swimming at their house.

Anyway, just wanted to vent... please feel free to share your own 'trying to help a friend who doesn't want to be helped' story.

You are a good friend for testing his water and trying to educate him. While I don't have a freind story, I was also of the mindset that if the water is clear everything is fine. I swam in slightly cloudy water and probably sounded like your friend, until I found this site. I didn't know what CYA was (in pool terms) until I came here. Got my TF100 did a partial drain and fill since I also had off the chart CYA and even the wife noticed the pool has a little extra sparkle (thought it was just me). I thought I knew what I was doing in the past. The PS is happy to keep selling you junk and giving bad information and that's just not good when people's health can be at risk.

I took my kit to my SIL house yesterday, having a backyard picnic. The extended family now things I'm a total pool geek for carrying around my test kit. :oops: :mrgreen:

That's okay. I don't mind. :wink:

The pool wasn't too bad, they just needed to add chlorine and boost the PH and TA.

Now if I can just get my hands on my friend Kim's pool. They LOVE algaecide.... :mrgreen:

What is frightening is when you see a commercial pool with those kinds of problems!

The frog was probably helping keep the algae in check. When it is working at all, the mineral pack helps cut down on algae. It also slows down the spread of other things, though it is no where near as safe as chlorine with a proper CYA level.

frustratedpoolmom said:
The extended family now things I'm a total pool geek for carrying around my test kit.

I know exactly how you feel, they keep staring at mine, shaking their heads:

Chlorine DPD, DPS-FAS, pH, Acid/Base Demand, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, CYA, Bleach (starch), Phosphates, Iron, Copper, Borates (titration), Salt (titration), Monopersufate, ORP, TDS. A couple of stirrers in there too, beakers, a battery powered daylight panel (so I can test water at 2 am like anybody else), pH meter, magnifying glass (is it pollen or algae?), a wash bottle, a timer from the dollar store.

It's not a hobby, it's a symptom.

It's an older picture, so it doesn't show the Manganese reagents (with the handy dandy chloroform :shock: that shipped in a sealed container filled with vermiculite :shock: ), the Borate test strips, the digital pipette and the DI water (for diluting bleach).

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think therapy starts next week, I'll have to check.

I have a friend like that. I tried to help her and she ended up nuking her black pool into a white milky substance that finally turned green.

Her kids call me to ask if they can go swimming in my pool. :hammer:

I'm done leading the horse to water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
I took my kit to my SIL house yesterday, having a backyard picnic. The extended family now things I'm a total pool geek for carrying around my test kit. :oops: :mrgreen:

That's okay. I don't mind. :wink:

The pool wasn't too bad, they just needed to add chlorine and boost the PH and TA.

Now if I can just get my hands on my friend Kim's pool. They LOVE algaecide.... :mrgreen:

Pool geek! :tongue:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Last year is my very first pool season ever taking care of my own pool, and I've become obsessed with pool test kits, as well. I have a Taylor K-2006, a Taylor K-2005 (This one came with the house when I bought it. I never knew I had it, but found it in the storage room late last summer!).. I have a bottle of aquachek test strips, a copper test kit and I plan on buying an Iron Test Kit, TDS Test kit and Salt..What else should I have?

rbdeli said:
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Last year is my very first pool season ever taking care of my own pool, and I've become obsessed with pool test kits, as well. I have a Taylor K-2006, a Taylor K-2005 (This one came with the house when I bought it. I never knew I had it, but found it in the storage room late last summer!).. I have a bottle of aquachek test strips, a copper test kit and I plan on buying an Iron Test Kit, TDS Test kit and Salt..What else should I have?

Beer? :cheers: :mrgreen:

(p.s. that 2005 may not be any good, how long was it "missing" :wink: ?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.