Took my test kit to my friends pool

I am preparing myself for battle with my brother. He just moved to Texas in a large new home that came with a swimming pool and pool guy to take care of it. He has three daughters that will be swimming in it this summer. I am going to insist he get a TFT100 or Taylor K-2006 and do FAS-DPD testing weekly. I will try to send him over to this site, but I have a feeling he's a lot like the guy doing the frog-chlorine-puck thing and say everything is fine.

rbdeli said:
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Last year is my very first pool season ever taking care of my own pool, and I've become obsessed with pool test kits, as well. I have a Taylor K-2006, a Taylor K-2005 (This one came with the house when I bought it. I never knew I had it, but found it in the storage room late last summer!).. I have a bottle of aquachek test strips, a copper test kit and I plan on buying an Iron Test Kit, TDS Test kit and Salt..What else should I have?
Well, from one obsessed guy to another . . . the bleach test (starch indicator) is kinda cool to perform, so is the borate one. The phosphates is boring, it's just a color change. The manganese is potent, the fumes from the ammonium hydroxyde and the chloroform are nasty. 10 minutes after you're done you can still smell the stuff in the room. Up here lots of people in the North have water either trucked in or use wells so the "surprise" factor (metals) is quite high.

I like to perform the Salt titration with a 20 mL sample, each drop of R-0718 representing 100 ppm, the endpoint is easier to reach without overdosing. I find using a light panel gives consistent color to interpret pH and helps to make sure all the DPD is gone when doing the FAS-DPD.

I hope one day to get approval from corporate for a turbidity meter, to allow me to wrap some numbers around this whole water clarity thing when using borates. So far though I can see it but I can't measure it.

The other cool thing to get is the Standards Methods book, in there you'll find all the methods, protocols and recipes you can use to test for many many substances, it explains quite a few things that are not apparent when you're just following the test kit instructions.

EskimoPie said:
.....The old adage 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink' ........

I remember a short conversation that my Mom an Dad had around that saying.
My Mom: That boy's head is as hard as a rock. He won't do anything I tell him. :blah: :blah: :blah:

My Dad: You know you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

My Mom: Then I'll break his neck! :rant: :rant: :rant:

My Dad: Even if you broke his neck he still won't be able to drink! :hammer:

:lol:

Doh..

Do gin martinis count?

frustratedpoolmom said:
rbdeli said:
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Last year is my very first pool season ever taking care of my own pool, and I've become obsessed with pool test kits, as well. I have a Taylor K-2006, a Taylor K-2005 (This one came with the house when I bought it. I never knew I had it, but found it in the storage room late last summer!).. I have a bottle of aquachek test strips, a copper test kit and I plan on buying an Iron Test Kit, TDS Test kit and Salt..What else should I have?

Beer? :cheers: :mrgreen:

(p.s. that 2005 may not be any good, how long was it "missing" :wink: ?)

Moms are like that. So practical
rogerbrks said:
EskimoPie said:
.....The old adage 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink' ........

I remember a short conversation that my Mom an Dad had around that saying.
My Mom: That boy's head is as hard as a rock. He won't do anything I tell him. :blah: :blah: :blah:

My Dad: You know you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

My Mom: Then I'll break his neck! :rant: :rant: :rant:

My Dad: Even if you broke his neck he still won't be able to drink! :hammer:

frustratedpoolmom said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
rbdeli said:
What else should I have?
Beer? :cheers: :mrgreen:
rbdeli said:
Doh..
Do gin martinis count?
Absolutely. :goodjob: :wink:

I knew I liked you guys!! OK...Jimmy Buffett and Beer -or margaritas- (Yes!!) :goodjob: So...Gin Martinis....Sinatra-Rat Pack? Ooohhh...I could do that, too, except Vodka Martinis with blue cheese olives.
:mrgreen: And, would I have to wear one of those 1950's bathing suits and cap with frilly stuff for that? Just askin'..... :mrgreen:

Pisces said:
I knew I liked you guys!! OK...Jimmy Buffett and Beer -or margaritas- (Yes!!) :goodjob: So...Gin Martinis....Sinatra-Rat Pack? Ooohhh...I could do that, too, except Vodka Martinis with blue cheese olives.
:mrgreen: And, would I have to wear one of those 1950's bathing suits and cap with frilly stuff for that? Just askin'..... :mrgreen:

A 1950's party theme. Sounds like a great idea. You have to have martinis. Wow!! Grey Goose Vodka, high humidity and Cen-Tex 100 degrees. EMS please be close by.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Though I'm a newcomer, I liked this site right away.
what is it about some of the other forums that seems so...stuffy?

Definitely a refreshing attitude around here. Maybe it's because of the variety of tastes in alcohol, err.. I mean test kits.

rbdeli said:
Though I'm a newcomer, I liked this site right away.
what is it about some of the other forums that seems so...stuffy?

Definitely a refreshing attitude around here. Maybe it's because of the variety of tastes in alcohol, err.. I mean test kits.
I think you're on to something about the alcohol, :lol: but we just don't have that big of a variety of test kits to recommend :mrgreen:

The most fav seem to be the TF100! I know it's mine! http://www.tftestkits.net :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.