Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took my test kit to my friends pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Took my test kit to my friends pool

Went over to some friends house for dinner this weekend. He has a pretty small (~6000 gal) gunite pool that was originally installed with a Frog cartridge system. I've tried many times to tell him about this site and how easy pool maintenance can really be but he never wants to hear it. The old adage 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink' is especially true in this case.

He's convinced that as long as his pool isn't deep green then everything is going fine. We'd had our pools built at approximately the same time (almost 2 years ago) and I knew he'd been using the frog system for most of this time and had last year modified it himself so he can just put 1" pucks into it instead of buying the frog packs.

We went for a short swim before dinner and even though the water had a slight green coloring to it I went in with my 3 year old anyway (I really wish I hadn't). After the swim, I went and got my TFP kit and started checking his water. pH was 7.5 which was Ok, but then I checked the chlorine and found he only had 0.5 FC and 3.0 CC... His TA was high at 140, his CH was ~400, but then I got to his CYA... I knew it would be high due to the frog and puck usage, but since the pool is fairly new I didn't think it would be crazy high. The first attempt the dot disappeared WAY below the 100 line. So I drained the dropper bottle down to the bottom line and added more pool water back to the top line. The dot again disappeared WAY below the line. So I again drained the dropper to the bottom line and added pool water to the top line. The dot STILL disappeared below the 100 line. I did it again and this time the dot disappeared at the 80 line. I know that REALLY decreases the accuracy of the test diluting over and over again like that, but very roughly 4x80 = ~360ppm CYA. He has >300 ppm of CYA with only 0.5 ppm of FC. Essentially ZERO sanitization going on. I'm very surprised the pool isn't a swamp already, the only reason I can think it isn't is because he also has an ozone system that is constantly killing the algae as it grows.

I wish I'd tested the water BEFORE I got in (I figured that would be too rude) but we gave my son a bath as soon as we got home and I jumped into my properly balanced pool and tried to sit on the bottom for as long as I could to let that chlorine de-funkify me!

I tried to explain to him how he had 10x the amount of stabilizer that he should and how even the tiny amount of chlorine he has in there is totally useless but he just laughed it off and said his dad ran a public pool for 30 years and he uses the same method that he did <groan>. I said he's going to be in for a rough summer and I guaranteed he's going to have a tough time with his pool in the very near future. He just said even if he completely drains it and re-fills it every year that's only $10 in water so why bother doing anything else. I told him that while the ozone may be keeping his algae at bay, it's doing nothing from keeping bugs and pathogens from being transferred around in his pool. He didn't seem to care.

To top it all off, his 3 kids have been having re-occuring sickness for a while now... the 2 girls have been having urinary tract infections and 2 of the 3 are having tubes put in their ears due to re-occuring ear infections. I'm strongly suspecting the pool being a big contributing factor to their ongoing health issues. I know there really isn't anything more I can do for them and it's THEIR lives, but it's frustrating nonetheless. All I know is that I (and my family) won't be doing any more swimming at their house.

Anyway, just wanted to vent... please feel free to share your own 'trying to help a friend who doesn't want to be helped' story.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Took my test kit to my friends pool

You are a good friend for testing his water and trying to educate him. While I don't have a freind story, I was also of the mindset that if the water is clear everything is fine. I swam in slightly cloudy water and probably sounded like your friend, until I found this site. I didn't know what CYA was (in pool terms) until I came here. Got my TF100 did a partial drain and fill since I also had off the chart CYA and even the wife noticed the pool has a little extra sparkle (thought it was just me). I thought I knew what I was doing in the past. The PS is happy to keep selling you junk and giving bad information and that's just not good when people's health can be at risk.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

3. Back To Top    #3

I took my kit to my SIL house yesterday, having a backyard picnic. The extended family now things I'm a total pool geek for carrying around my test kit.

That's okay. I don't mind.

The pool wasn't too bad, they just needed to add chlorine and boost the PH and TA.

Now if I can just get my hands on my friend Kim's pool. They LOVE algaecide....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

What is frightening is when you see a commercial pool with those kinds of problems!

The frog was probably helping keep the algae in check. When it is working at all, the mineral pack helps cut down on algae. It also slows down the spread of other things, though it is no where near as safe as chlorine with a proper CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

BTW, when I came back from getting my TF-100 out of the car, he said "holy cow, is that the Cadillac of test kits or what?" I said "Yeah, it pretty much is."
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

that means that test strips are the mopeds of test kits!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    The extended family now things I'm a total pool geek for carrying around my test kit.
    I know exactly how you feel, they keep staring at mine, shaking their heads:

Chlorine DPD, DPS-FAS, pH, Acid/Base Demand, Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, CYA, Bleach (starch), Phosphates, Iron, Copper, Borates (titration), Salt (titration), Monopersufate, ORP, TDS. A couple of stirrers in there too, beakers, a battery powered daylight panel (so I can test water at 2 am like anybody else), pH meter, magnifying glass (is it pollen or algae?), a wash bottle, a timer from the dollar store.

It's not a hobby, it's a symptom.

It's an older picture, so it doesn't show the Manganese reagents (with the handy dandy chloroform that shipped in a sealed container filled with vermiculite ), the Borate test strips, the digital pipette and the DI water (for diluting bleach).

I think therapy starts next week, I'll have to check.

8. Back To Top    #8

OMG that is too funny. What time is our appointment?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

9. Back To Top    #9

Later this week.

I'm counting the drops . . . ummm . . . I mean the days.
    Counting the days.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a friend like that. I tried to help her and she ended up nuking her black pool into a white milky substance that finally turned green.

Her kids call me to ask if they can go swimming in my pool.

I'm done leading the horse to water.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Gaaaaaaaahhh!!! Please, sign me up too. *Gulp* I LOVE that test kit. I need help. "My name is Pisces, and I'm a PTA (pool test addict)".
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by CaOCl2
    I know exactly how you feel, they keep staring at mine, shaking their heads:

OMG... if the TF-100 is the Cadillac of test kits, that thing is the Rolls Royce of test kits!
    My Pool:

13. Back To Top    #13

.......um, some pretty extreme cases of pooliosis noted in this thread.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, and I'm fairly certain we all have SparklyPoolItis too.

15. Back To Top    #15

Holy cow! Now that's a test kit! (I feel so inadequate now...)
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

16. Back To Top    #16

I took my kit to my SIL house yesterday, having a backyard picnic. The extended family now things I'm a total pool geek for carrying around my test kit.

That's okay. I don't mind.

The pool wasn't too bad, they just needed to add chlorine and boost the PH and TA.

Now if I can just get my hands on my friend Kim's pool. They LOVE algaecide....
    Pool geek!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Pool geek!
    TOTKO

18. Back To Top    #18

maybe duraleigh will be offering a new product soon
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

19. Back To Top    #19

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Last year is my very first pool season ever taking care of my own pool, and I've become obsessed with pool test kits, as well. I have a Taylor K-2006, a Taylor K-2005 (This one came with the house when I bought it. I never knew I had it, but found it in the storage room late last summer!).. I have a bottle of aquachek test strips, a copper test kit and I plan on buying an Iron Test Kit, TDS Test kit and Salt..What else should I have?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by rbdeli
    I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Last year is my very first pool season ever taking care of my own pool, and I've become obsessed with pool test kits, as well. I have a Taylor K-2006, a Taylor K-2005 (This one came with the house when I bought it. I never knew I had it, but found it in the storage room late last summer!).. I have a bottle of aquachek test strips, a copper test kit and I plan on buying an Iron Test Kit, TDS Test kit and Salt..What else should I have?
    Beer?

(p.s. that 2005 may not be any good, how long was it "missing" ?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast