Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Morning TFPers.

Didn't know where else to post this besides in Everything Else.

During the in-season, what temp do you keep your water?

Last season, we got our solar cover/blanket, and with the use of solar, our pool got up to the 90s; perhaps, 93-94 at a high. That was around the same time I had my only algae bloom (watch the the self-jinx), which we got on right away. But, after that, I think I was keeping the pool in the 90s b/w 90-92. Yes, it was warmer, but my young kids liked it and made it comfortable for them as they learn to swim. This summer however, I think I will aim for 86-88 though. When the pool was in the 90s, I definitely had to stay on top of the chemicals, but of course I do/would at any temp.

I was going to make a poll and put options for temp intervals, but I don't see the option to make a poll any longer. I'll have to look more in to this.

Ideal pool temp for comfort is total personal preference. I live in hot humid SC and I don't like my pool to get in the 90's. Once it hits about 88-89, I hook up the pool cooler to run at night. For some reason I'm stuck with about 86 being my sweet spot.

I don't know how temperature really affects chances of algea outbreak. Shouldn't if chemistry is correct I would think.

Warmer water temps burn chlorine quicker. Thus, that could lead to an algae outbreak if chlorine is not maintained. Therefore, whether direct or indirect, that infers a relationship b/w water temp and potential for algae. But, let's please not digress as that was not my topic.

Of course it is personal preference, which I thought was obvious from asking "what temp do YOU keep your water?" vs. "what is the recommended water temp?"

We like 80-85 when temps are in the 80s to low 90s. Once we hit upper 90s to 100s we like 88 to 92. 93 is the magic number that becomes too warm. We set the solar controller to 93 during summer. I think for us it seems to be a temperature differential between air and water. Too much difference and the water feels too cold.

As I get older I find I like the pool warmer and warmer, when I was a teenager I was perfectly happy in 76-78 degree water, and over the years the ideal temperature seems to go up about 1 degree every 5 years or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.