First Opening - Swamp Content

Papag

Jul 5, 2015
Sparta NJ
So we bought a house with our first pool last August. I did some research, discovered this site and had the TF-100/speed stir, etc. in hand before we even moved in. Unfortunately, with the move and unpacking, etc., I decided to continue to use the puck feeder and just enjoy the pool and keep the PH in balance. At one point I tested cya at 80 and by the end of last season the filter required constant cleaning. In hindsight I was probably on the verge of an algae outbreak.

Fast forward to the other day and I opened the pool to this.

I balanced the PH, tested cya at 40 (decreased substantially over the winter) and started the SLAM.

Here is a picture of the following morning. I can now see the bottom of the pool, including a large frog who has taken up residence, and I am going to vacuum and brush this afternoon.

Unfortunately, my filter pressure is on the rise so I have ordered a new one. I may need to do an acid wash before it gets here as spraying the current one off with the hose is not cutting it. Also, I sprayed all of the algae off the mesh cover. Should I be using anything else to clean it before I put it away?

I will update this post to document my progress.

Steve

Welcome to TFP :)

You got a swamp going there :)

we have another person almost in the same situation going now.. Your filter, while a little bigger at 120 sq ft is going to be the hardest part of your SLAM.. because it is so small you're going to be cleaning it constantly, watch your pressure and when it raises 25% you need to clean it, it may only last 30 minutes to an hour...

The cover can be sprayed with a bleach water combo and scrubbed, then let dry before putting up for the summer :)

HI! Did you name your froggy friend? I hope he accepts the eviction notice!

Casey has you covered on your questions.

I would love to see more pics of your pool AND area. That looks so neat with those big rocks! I would have to do some rock climbing! Did you buy for the house or the pool?

Kim:cat:

Thanks you both for the input. Froggy is running out of hiding places.

Here is another picture of the setup

Previous owner used to jump off the rocks into the pool. If i attempt that it will be when my kids are not watching:p

Today's progress.

I seem to be losing water unfortunately and I don't think it's from evaporation. No leaks at the equipment pad and the pools was filled 3/4 of the way up the skimmer when I opened it, so should not be the liner. I looked for possible water/leaks in the yard, but I have a long run as all of the equipment is on the side of the house. Also, not exactly sure where the pipes run underground. Guess I will need to start plugging lines to test after I am done with the slam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is such a pretty area! WOW! Did you buy the house or the pool and area?

Now you and I both KNOW the kids WILL try it the min your back it turned! LOL

Kim:cat:

Thanks! We absolutely love it. We bought for the house and cult a sac location. The pool/landscaping was a bonus, but we always wanted one. True about the kids, but I am not going to give them any ideas...:eek:

My guess is another day or two and I will do the overnight/cc test. I tested cc today and it was between .5 and 1.0. I think I am getting there...

I also think I found my leak which is just at the waterfall. I can easily fix it once I am done with the SLAM and can turn the filter off for a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.