High cya, need options

UMREBL

May 11, 2016
Nesbit, MS
50k inground, vinyl liner, new 300lb sand filter,years of tri and dichlor treatment.Just got my Taylor k-2006 FAS-DPD kit and stockpiled 10% bleach. CYA readings concern me. Is there hope beyond draining? pH 6.8
TA 95
Cya 180
FC 1
TC 1
CH 75
Should I balance pH and test again, or is that a pipe dream? I have dumped 50 lbs of dichlor with no change in FC, based on previous owner recommendation testing with strips. Water is very close to clear.

Do you understand how much CYA you added with 50 lbs of Dichlor, which contains CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

No, no point in adjusting PH when you'll need to drain and replace water. Sorry :(

- - - Updated - - -

What are you testing with?

How is the PH going to "get right"?
PH that is off is uncomfortable and can be irritating but it won't harm you. I'd be more concerned about swimming in an unsanitary pool with inadequate chlorine...That can be risky to say the least.

50lbs of dichlor added 74 ppm of chlorine and 67 ppm of CYA to your 45k gal pool. With CYA at 180 your target chlorine level is 21 ppm and your shock level is 69 ppm. Chlorine CYA Chart It is really unmanageable. When partially draining a vinyl liner pool it is very important to leave a foot of water in the shallow end. You need to get the CYA down to 60 or 80 at the most.

I have 40lbs of soda ash and 40 Gallons of 10% bleach. Just wondering if it may stabilize at 17 ppm FC and make it through summer

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it's time for that new liner, and new water to! Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

That will raise your PH to about 7.0 which is still too low.

Do you understand that chlorine has to be added EVERY DAY? So one gallon will give you roughly 2ppm, which is on the low end of the typical loss a pool owner sees. In a "normal" pool situation, that may be ok, but with an overstabilized pool it's risky at best. On top of that, you'll still have to reach your minimum FC level first - and ensure that it's holding overnight - but you're guessing on what that actually is, because the dilution method to determine the CYA level loses accuracy...

I'm not going to beat around the bush... you need to do a drain and refill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.