Using sand filter with NO sand

Aug 19, 2015
Mt. Airy, MD
Hello all, here's the deal. I have a 26" Pentair Meteor sand filter that's about 20 years old. The sand is original and I've never deep cleaned it. Today, I removed the multiport valve (top mount) and did a deep clean. Long story short, there's was so much gunk in the sand that it would have taken hours for the water to run clean. After an hour, I gave up and decided to just replace the sand. I used a shop vac and got all the sand out. I removed the laterals for inspection and they need to be replaced. The little slots in all the laterals are caked with sand and a few were cracked. So I just ordered new laterals which won't be here until middle-late next week.

You can see my issue now. My water will be sitting stagnant for days. My question is, can I reinstall the multiport valve with the filter body completely empty and just use the recirculate function? This would be better than nothing. Other wise I will be adding chlorine and brushing a lot I suppose.

Current levels:

35,000 gal in ground vinyl
FC-7
CC-0
PH- 7.5
TA- 110
CH- 100
CYA-60
Borates- 50

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.