Black Algae Battle

Aug 21, 2015
McKinney, TX
I've been battling a black algae problem for about 2 weeks so wanted to get some advice and see if I'm on the right track. I started off with a SLAM and have been running the pump nonstop (other than to clean the filter). Brushing from out of the water 2 or 3 times a day with wire brush. Spots on steps near the surface are gone but still have a good amount in the deep end. I thinking I need to take a swim to brush those deeper spots.

FC = 15
CC = 0
CYA = 40
CH = 150
TA = 180

Welcome to TFP :)

Your numbers look great... they are exactly where they should be... so from what your saying your water is clear because you can see the algae in the deep end, correct... Up to SLAM levels you can and it is safe to get into the water, is there no way to brush those spots with your brush? Keeping your FC at SLAM level with almost nothing of the algae left should be pretty easy...

Are you sure they are not metal stains or something else, just asking to see :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.