Air in pump basket normal?

Apr 24, 2016
Dayton, Ohio
Just learning the ins and outs of my VS pump. On higher speeds there is no air in pump basket. On extended low speed 1000-1750 rpm there are big bubbles in top of basket. My PB said it s because of the lower speeds I have the pump on. I don't understand the principal. Is that a reasonable explanation or should I be worried about a suction leak. New pool. Water level top of skimmers. Everything working fine otherwise. Pressure normal on filter it seems. Thanks

Periodically open the air relief on the filter to let out the air. If air comes out every time, you might have a suction side air leak. If it only comes out the first time, all is well.

Also watch for air in the return water. Check while the SWG is off, because the SWG makes hydrogen gas while on and you will see tiny hydrogen bubbles coming from the returns.

Periodically open the air relief on the filter to let out the air. If air comes out every time, you might have a suction side air leak. If it only comes out the first time, all is well.

Also watch for air in the return water. Check while the SWG is off, because the SWG makes hydrogen gas while on and you will see tiny hydrogen bubbles coming from the returns.
Thanks, I only see return gas bubbles when SWG on. Is air relief valve on the filter pressure gauge at the top somewhere? Didn't know there was a relief valve TBH. Haven't figured a lot out yet.

The air relief is the assembly on top with the pressure gauge. Grab the round part that the gauge is screwed into and twist counterclockwise. Air and/or water will come out of the hole on the assembly. Block the water coming out if it will squirt on anything that shouldn't get wet.

Once water comes out twist clockwise to close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.