How long does everything last?

neen01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2012
NJ
I looked around and didn't see any guidelines on this but it would be helpful to know ballpark for the different pieces of equipment.
How long do pumps last? Filters? Heaters? pool cleaners/booster pump for pool cleaner?
Our pool is 10 years old so just trying to budget.

I looked around and didn't see any guidelines on this but it would be helpful to know ballpark for the different pieces of equipment.
How long do pumps last? Filters? Heaters? pool cleaners/booster pump for pool cleaner?
Our pool is 10 years old so just trying to budget.

I have a 12-year old pool also in NJ. It depends in some degree if you have an outdoor or indoor platform. If you are outside, like mine, it's less then a sheltered setup. My original motor died last year. Upgraded the WhisperFlo to a 2-speed and should be good for another ten or more. In 70 years of pool experience in this location going back to before I was born, the longest lived motor was about 16 years and the shortest was seven. This year I had to replace all the filter grids, but I see no reason the filter itself should not be good for many more years. I have DE, can't say about modern sand filters. I ran a stainless sand filter from 1973 to 2003, and we had two cast iron ones before that die in less than 15 years each. I don't know about the modern plastic ones. I also have never had a heater so I can't help you there. If I had one, the women would make me use it, and I like my water cool.

Thanks! we just replaced the pump this year. it was really loud and they said to replace the motor but i figured 10 years was pretty old so we upgraded to a variable speed one. I will see about the filter grids at the end of this season too then
Any experience with pool cleaner and the pump for that?

My pool just passed the 12 year mark and I have had some repairs. My equipment is located outside.

Pump - Replaced Jandy Stealth fixed speed after seven years. Still kicking myself for getting another fixed speed...
Booster (for Polaris 280) - Put it out of its misery after eight years. The noise became unbearable. Replaced with a dolphin and removed booster all together
Heater - Currently replacing Raypak 406A NG heater. I blame it on myself for not staying on top of pool chemistry, eventually causing the unit to breakdown
DE Filter - Replaced screens this year. I felt I got some good yardage from these jokers

Overall, my equipment's longevity surpassed my expectations, especially for being out in the elements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.