Question on Clorine testing.

May 12, 2016
La Porte
I am a previous pool owner, with different home and an above ground pool installed 9/2015. I have some training and experience in the taking and testing of water samples, so this isn't entirely new and I feel confident in my ability to follow procedures. We took cover off pool, water looked clear. We then started pump and it stirred up the sediment on bottom and water clouded up. We then added a gallon of clorine and a one pound package of shock. The water cleared up by the 2nd day.

Last weekends sample (after running pump about 2 hours)
fc dark pink and couldnt get sample to go clear
cc didnt do
ta 240
cya 0
ph 8

I have been adding ma and aerating to bring TA down..(i have also added stabilizer (cya) in a sock 1.75 lbs last week and added another 1.75 lbs to a sock tonite)

Tonights sample
fc light pink and still cant get sample to go clear
cc did not do
TA 120
cya 0
ph 7.0

My problem is I cant seem to get an accurate Clorine reading. Does the sample still have a pink tinge or would it be crystal clear...or does my ph have to be about 7.4? Would that affect it that much? I quit at 10 ppm this evening.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Taylor R-0871, it has a date code of 05/17, and its a no go on tap water. It did not turn pink when I added the powder R-0870. But at least that tells us that the R-0870 is working. I have well water and there is no clorine in it. (It does turn pink with the pool water), I just cant get (or tell when) it changes to clear. It seems always to have a pink tint.

i think my r-0871 is bad. I tried what you suggested. The first time the solution turned pink, I added drops till I got to 30 ppm. I stopped, fiqured the solution was too strong, so I emptied all but one quart of solution and refilled up to one gallon. This time the solution was noticeably lighter in color. Again I stopped at 30 ppm (60 drops). I again diluted as before and the solution had just a tint of pink. I stopped at 20 ppm with no change.

Are you using a k-2006? Sorry if it says in your signature, can't see it in tapatalk. If so what is the lot number? There have been reports of bad r-0871 in a certain batch lately.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

B1067, that's the one. Plug it in the search and you will find half a dozen people with the same issue in the past few weeks.

Contact Taylor and they will send you a replacement, it sounds like they are aware of the problem.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.